Re: [eiffel-nice-library] COMPARABLE and equality.

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2002
      On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:06:07PM -0700, Emmanuel STAPF [ES] wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I should have asked the question when the discussion about COMPARABLE
      > started, but could someone summarize what is wrong with the existing
      > specification of the class in ELKS 95. My believe is that we should try
      > to fix bugs if any, to ensure that assertions are well defined (like we
      > did in ARRAY and STRING) and then try to find solutions for mismatch
      > between different Eiffel vendors.
      >
      > Manu

      Right. From my point of view there is only one major issue
      in COMPARABLE: Is it right to use 'is_equal' for equality.
      At the moment it looks to me like there is not much choice
      anyway.

      In the process of thinking about this, I stumbled over the
      possible problem with the "equality" features in GENERAL,
      which I mainly posted to be sure I understood it, and if
      I do, to mark as something to be done when next visiting
      GENERAL.

      There are some minor things in the specifiation (invariants,
      preference of min/max of the first argument, postconditions),
      that do however not have any or any major impact on
      functionality. I do not see any code being broken by any
      of the discussed changes, as they all just relax the
      specification or re-formulate it.

      See Jim's and my last post for the equality question.
      See my initial post or Jim's last post for the minor things.

      Arno Wagner, Communication Systems Group, ETH Zuerich, wagner@...
      ----
      For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple,
      and wrong. -- H L Mencken