Re: [eiffel-nice-library] Candidate ELKS 2001 STRING proposal

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 30, 2001
      Alexander Kogtenkov wrote:

      > Sorry to be late...

      Better late than never! But the ELKS 2001 proposal has already gone to
      the NICE Board and I'd be reluctant to ask for it to be recalled for a
      cosmetic issue.

      (I _think_ what you are suggesting is just cosmetic.)

      > The postcondition of the feature "from_c"
      > looks like
      >
      > ensure
      > no_zero_byte: not has ('%/0/')
      > -- characters: for all i ...
      > -- correct_count: the ASCII ...
      >
      > I think it would be better to change it to
      >
      > ensure
      > no_zero_byte: not has ('%/0/')
      > characters: -- for all i ...
      > correct_count: -- the ASCII ...

      Last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago), some Eiffel compilers
      failed to correctly extract (into the short-form) assertions with
      commented bodies.

      If it turns out that all Eiffel compilers get this right now, then we can
      adopt the "comment-after-the-tag" style for all future non-executable
      assertions.

    • Alexander Kogtenkov
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2001
        Roger Browne wrote (a month ago - I've just returned from vacations):

        >... ELKS 2001 proposal has already gone to
        > the NICE Board and I'd be reluctant to ask for it to be recalled for a
        > cosmetic issue.
        >
        > (I _think_ what you are suggesting is just cosmetic.)

        Yes, it is.

        > > The postcondition of the feature "from_c"
        > > looks like
        > >
        > > ensure
        > > no_zero_byte: not has ('%/0/')
        > > -- characters: for all i ...
        > > -- correct_count: the ASCII ...
        > >
        > > I think it would be better to change it to
        > >
        > > ensure
        > > no_zero_byte: not has ('%/0/')
        > > characters: -- for all i ...
        > > correct_count: -- the ASCII ...
        >
        > Last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago), some Eiffel compilers
        > failed to correctly extract (into the short-form) assertions with
        > commented bodies.
        >
        > If it turns out that all Eiffel compilers get this right now, then we can
        > adopt the "comment-after-the-tag" style for all future non-executable
        > assertions.

        It's mostly to follow the same style in the specification: postconditions for
        is_double, is_integer, is_real are all in "comment-after-the-tag" format.

        Regards,
        Alexander Kogtenkov
        Object Tools, Moscow
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2001
          Alexander Kogtenkov wrote:

          > > > The postcondition of the feature "from_c" looks like
          > > >
          > > > ensure
          > > > no_zero_byte: not has ('%/0/')
          > > > -- characters: for all i ...
          > > > -- correct_count: the ASCII ...
          > > >
          > > > I think it would be better to change it to
          > > >
          > > > ensure
          > > > no_zero_byte: not has ('%/0/')
          > > > characters: -- for all i ...
          > > > correct_count: -- the ASCII ...

          > It's mostly to follow the same style in the specification: postconditions for
          > is_double, is_integer, is_real are all in "comment-after-the-tag" format.

          I see your point. I didn't realise we were already using the
          "comment-after-tag" style in other parts of the specification. We should
          certainly make it consistent.

          I'll make the changes, and in the extremely unlikely case that anyone
          objects we'll run a vote.