RE: [eiffel-nice-library] STRING 'append_character', 'append_string'

  • Simon Parker
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 29, 2000
      Good morning.

      On Thursday, September 28, 2000 7:31 PM, Roger Browne [SMTP:egroups@...] wrote:
      [...]
      > Simon Parker wrote:
      > > ...I'm reminded of another pet hate: single-character names.
      > > Can we call the argument 'other'?
      >
      > Single-character names are sprinkled throughout ELKS ARRAY and STRING, and
      > I have seen various authors defend their use for arguments and locals.
      >
      > I'd like to leave 'insert_string' unchanged for now. If you would like
      > this group to consider the issue of argument names, I suggest that you do
      > one of the following:
      >
      > (a) Propose a general principle for argument names (e.g. "never
      > use one-character names" or "use one-character names only
      > under circumstances X and Y". Then, if this group agrees,
      > we can revise the entire class to make it consistent with
      > the general principle, or

      Tempting, but a bit negative. Context would be important in selecting alternatives.
      I might suggest some standard names for common situations, in the spirit of our recent 'not_void' decision.

      > (b) After the substance of ELKS2001 STRING is complete, and when
      > we are discussing stylistic issues, submit a set of proposed
      > argument renamings that will yield a consistent, clean interface.

      Yes, this is a better way.

      > You suggested the name 'other' instead of 's'. I don't know that 'other'
      > carries any more information than a single character. In my "day job", I
      > use 'other' only for commutative operations. ELKS follows a similar
      > convention in some places (e.g. "infix <", "infix +", 'is_equal') but is
      > not consistent.

      My own guidelines aren't so refined. I'll give it more thought, while we get back to the substance.

      [...]

      Regards,
      Simon

      Simon Parker +353 87 249 7859