"Late" votes

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2000
      Alexander Kogtenkov wrote:
      > I'm sorry for the late vote...

      No need to apologise. All participation is welcome.

      Dave Martin wrote:
      > ...is that three days set in stone, or could that time
      > be extended for future votes?

      Occasionally, for a "big" vote (such as the decision to submit an ELKS
      class to the NICE Board) I have run the eGroups poll for longer.

      The "three days" is just for the semi-automated eGroups polling
      mechanism. Before each poll I send out a message saying "If you cannot
      vote within that time, feel free to post your vote directly to the
      list".

      Three days is short - but there are going to be a lot of votes before
      the STRING class is ready. A short voting cycle lets us move on where
      there are uncontentious issues. But if late votes change the balance, we
      will always re-evaluate the decision.

      No matter how long the time was extended to, we would still want to
      consider late votes. If we extended the voting period to three weeks, we
      would still value the opinion of someone who had just returned from a
      four-week vacation.

      So I suggest that we continue with three-day eGroups polls combined with
      open-ended email voting. All I ask is that emailed votes are sent at the
      first convenient opportunity.

      Emailed votes, no matter how late they arrive, are always added to the
      voting results accessible from http://www.eiffel.demon.co.uk/nice/string

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2000
        I can live with the 3 day online and open ended mail vote.
        Unlike other groups abuse should not be a problem here,
        and I am not going to look up all the polls I missed and
        vote now on them ;-)

        Arno Wagner Dipl. Inform. University of Trier wagner@...-trier.de
        Sig of the week: "If you can keep your calm while all others panic,
        you probably don't understand the situation"