New & Still Learning

  • No Such Luck <h3williams@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hello, I've just joined this group. I love studying about past
      civilizations and the people.
      Last night I was watching on the Travel Channel, history about
      Egyptian women, they referred to them as Gods' Wives...it was very
      interesting. It was a special they were doing with "The Scorpion
      King" movie. They talked about Cleopatra as well. Anyone else catch
      this? Just curious.
      I also caught part of a show about the Pharoh statue and whom it may
      actually be. Talk was that it was Catherine, or her brother, I'm
      sorry I forgot his name. One person claimed it was once a scultpure
      of a lion, but the head had since been reconstructed to, say that of
      Catherine. I'd love to talk more about this or anything Egyptian
      related. It's one of my favorite things to study.
      You see, I have always loved ancient history and anthropology, to
      learn about past peoples. That's why I have joined. I look forward
      to chatting with everyone and learning even more!
    • Zoe <neithhotep@yahoo.co.uk>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
        --- In egyptology2@yahoogroups.com, "No Such Luck <h3williams@y...>"
        <h3williams@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, I've just joined this group. I love studying about past
        > civilizations and the people.
        > Last night I was watching on the Travel Channel, history about
        > Egyptian women, they referred to them as Gods' Wives...it was very
        > interesting. It was a special they were doing with "The Scorpion
        > King" movie. They talked about Cleopatra as well. Anyone else
        catch
        > this? Just curious.
        > I also caught part of a show about the Pharoh statue and whom it
        may
        > actually be. Talk was that it was Catherine, or her brother, I'm
        > sorry I forgot his name. One person claimed it was once a
        scultpure
        > of a lion, but the head had since been reconstructed to, say that
        of
        > Catherine. I'd love to talk more about this or anything Egyptian
        > related. It's one of my favorite things to study.
        > You see, I have always loved ancient history and anthropology, to
        > learn about past peoples. That's why I have joined. I look
        forward
        > to chatting with everyone and learning even more!

        Hello. Let me be the first to welcome you to the group.

        I think a few things need to be cleared up here from your post. I
        assume that the "Pharoh" (correct spelling Pharaoh) statue you refer
        to is the Sphinx on the Giza plateau in front of the pyramids. I also
        assume that this "Catherine" person you refer to is actually the
        (male) pharaoh Khafre (known to the Greeks as Chephren, and still
        referred to by this name by some).

        There are hundreds of theories out there about the Sphinx. As a
        traditional Egyptologist, I would support the theory that the Sphinx
        is carved to represent Khafre, and was always intended to be this
        way, mainly because the Sphinx enclosure with its temple directly
        adjoins the valley temple of Khafre. If you want more information
        concerning the Sphinx and the pyramids, then I suggest buying (or
        borrowing) a book called "The Complete Pyramids" by Mark Lehner, who
        is the authority on the Giza Plateau.

        If you want any more information on anything Egyptian, just drop a
        line to the group. Someone here is bound to be able to help!

        Zoe