Re: Institutions of Egyptology [USA]

  • ma_warden
    Message 1 of 2458 , Feb 5, 2002
      Dear Buffy. Your very welcome.<br>After doing
      some thought on this and a bit of research. I finally
      came up with a new page for USA course related links.
      are. I think the "Key" is to select ACADEMICS when
      searching for course materials in the USA.<br>In short here
      is the page link that should make finding courses a
      little easier to find. I hope so anyway?<br>Direct link.
      .html</a><br>Anpu our search engine also has these
    • lonecat27
      Message 2458 of 2458 , Mar 24, 2002
        --- In egyptology2@y..., arnolmax wrote:
        > Interesting that most sphinx representations are nearly always
        paired - in other words - two sphinxes usually facing in opposite
        directions. Why not at Giza? Anybody care to comment/elaborate?

        Actually, a pair of sphinxes facing opposite directions is not an
        Egyptian thing. That "motive" is typical of sphinxes that has been
        moved and rearranged in other places (like the 2 ones placed at the
        sides of the obelisk that was moved from Egypt to England)

        In Egyptian architecture, they didn't place sphinxes facing opposite
        directions, but placed in 2 lines at the entrance of temples. Usually
        the sphinx of each line faces the ones in the other line.

        Anyway, this is the case of small sphinxes, usually with ram heads,
        placed at the entrance of temples. About the great Sphinx in Giza,
        there is only one… If at any moment there was another, there is
        nothing left of it. Not only there is not any archaeological
        evidence, but also in ancient Egyptian texts that mention the Sphinx,
        they only mention one.

        But anyway, is very interesting that with ancient Egyptian's love for
        symmetry, they built only one sphinx… May be they intended to built
        2 sphinxes at Giza, but after finishing the first they abandoned the
        project, or the pharaoh died, or ran out of money… how knows?