Noblesse Oblige

  • Mohammed Sami Fadali
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      The episode described is a suspension of democratic rule for three years but it appears that resistance to this autocratic regime led by the Wafd was ultimately successful in ending it. This is very significant.

      One interesting detail in the story of Mahmoud Pasha is the donation by Demirdash Pasha to build a complete hospital. This is an example of what I was told by my uncles about the behavior of some of the super rich in Egypt before 1952. There were many cases of the rich feeling an obligation to give to the poor that I am not sure is paralleled by the new billionaires in Egypt. In fact, we know that Hammam Mahmoud who is a descendent of the Pasha and was Chair of Electrical Engineering at Cairo University, used his own money to buy equipment for the labs.

      Sami Fadali