Re: EGYPT'S FEMALE PHARAOH MUMMY FOUND

  • Mohammed Sami Fadali
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2007
      Ishinan,

      Hawas came to Reno to give us a talk and it was really great show. He
      played up the idea that he was like Indiana Jones. The number of
      people attending was unbelievable and it was front page news. It was
      really great publicity for Egypt.

      He told us something about a great discovery he was going to announce
      soon but said he coud not tell us exactly what it was. This must be
      it.

      Sami Fadali

      --- In egypt-net@yahoogroups.com, "The Egyptian Chronicles"
      <The_Egyptian_Chronicles@...> wrote:

      > According to US-based Discovery Channel, Egypt's antiquities
      supremo Zahi Hawass will announce at a media conference in Cairo on
      Wednesday "the most important find in Egypt's Valley of the Kings
      since the discovery of Tutankhamun" in 1922.

      > Egyptology discussion boards have been abuzz with the news that the
      one of the most important discoveries in Egypt's history could be
      announced soon.

      > A broken tooth was the latest clue which led archaeologists to
      explore the possibility they had indeed found Hatshepsut.

      > In 1903, archaeologist Howard Carter -- who went on to become
      famous for his discovery of Tutankhamun-- had discovered two
      sarcophogi in a tomb known as KV60 in the Theban necropolis, the
      Valley of the Kings in Luxor.

      > One apparently contained the mummy of Hatshepsut's wet nurse Sitre-
      In and the other of an unknown female.

      > Later in 1920, he found the tomb of Queen Hatshepsut but the two
      sarcophogi it contained were empty.

      > Discovery Channel, which is to air a documentary about the find,
      said Hawass was able to narrow the search for Hatshepsut down to the
      two mummies discovered by Carter in 1903.

      > He used CT scans to produce detailed 3D images and link distinct
      physical traits of one of the mummies to that of her ancestors.

      > According to the channel, a box that contained the tooth was
      inscribed with the female pharaoh's name and a scan of the box found
      that the tooth "matched within a fraction of a millimeter the space
      of the missing molar in the mouth of the mummy."

      > Hawass, secretary general of Egypt's Supreme Council of
      Antiquities, declined to comment when contacted by AFP, but Discovery
      quoted him as confirming the breakthrough.

      > "The discovery of the Hatshepsut mummy is one of the most important
      finds in the history of Egypt," the channel quoted him as saying.

      > "Our hope is that this mummy will help shed light on this mystery
      and on the mysterious nature of her death."

      > American Egyptologist Elizabeth Thomas had first suggested years
      ago that the second mummy in the tomb belonged to the Hatshepsut,
      because her hand was resting on her chest, a position reserved for
      monarchs.

      > Discovery said a team of archaeologists would now carry out DNA
      testing on the 3,000 year-old mummy to confirm her identity.

      > The tests, funded by the channel, will be carried out at the first-
      ever DNA testing facility located outside the Cairo Museum.

      > However some Egyptologists, like Salima Ikram, a professor of
      archaeology at the American University in Cairo, believe that the
      analysis may not necessarily be conclusive.

      > Professor Donald Ryan, of the Pacific Lutheran University, who
      rediscovered the tomb in 1989, however said Hawass is doing a "very
      good job and the results, whatever they might be, should be
      intriguing."

      > Hatshepsut, daughter of Pharaoh Tuthmosis I who ruled from 1504-
      1484 BC, was one of the most powerful female monarchs of the ancient
      world.

      > After the death of her husband-brother Tuthmosis II, she reigned as
      regent for his son by a concubine, Tuthmosis III.

      > But Hatshepsut soon declared herself as pharaoh, donning royal
      headdress and a false beard.

      > Soon after her death, her monuments and tomb were demolished by her
      jealous successor Tuthmosis III and her mummy was thought to be lost
      forever. - AFP