Action Alert: Release Sameeh Hammoudeh!

  • Zahi Damuni
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2006
      [Please read, respond and forward]

      For Immediate Release
      May 9, 2006

      Action Alert: Release Sameeh Hammoudeh!

      Al-Awda, The Palestine Right to Return Coalition, calls on its members,
      supporters and all people of conscience to demand the immediate release of
      Sameeh Hammoudeh who is being held prisoner at the Immigration and Customs
      Enforcement (ICE) detention center in Bradenton, Florida. On 6 December
      2005, a jury found Sameeh, a co-defendant in the Al-Arian case, not guilty
      of all charges brought against him by the US government. Yet, as of this
      date, he is still being held prisoner by the ICE.

      Sameeh has also accepted and wishes to be deported to Ramallah, his hometown
      in occupied Palestine. The ICE maintains that his detention is due to
      refusal to permit his return to Ramallah, a claim which, according to the
      St. Petersburg Times, has been denied by the Israeli authorities.

      Since there is no legal basis for the continued detention of Sameeh
      Hammoudeh, Al-Awda, The Palestine Right to Return Coalition, is asking all
      of its members, supporters and people of conscience to write to Attorney
      General Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General of the State of Florida Charlie
      Crist and Florida Governor Jeb Bush demanding Sameeh Hammoudeh's immediate
      release and his return home.

      We also urge publicizing Sameeh's imprisonment by writing op-eds and letters
      to the media highlighting the injustice he has been subjected to.

      Talking Points:

      * On 6 December 2005 a jury found Sameeh Hammoudeh not guilty of all
      charges brought against him. Hence, there is no legal basis for
      keeping him imprisoned by the Immigration and Customs
      Enforcement Service. He should be released forthwith.

      * Sameeh Hammoudeh wishes to return to his home in Ramallah, Palestine. By
      holding him prisoner, the ICE is preventing him from exercising his
      inalienable, natural and legal right to return to his home.

      E-MAIL, CALL and WRITE:

      * Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales
      E-MAIL: AskDOJ@...
      PHONE: 202-514-2001 and 202-353-1555
      MAIL: U.S. Department of Justice
      950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
      Washington, DC 20530-0001

      * Florida Governor Jeb Bush
      Email: jeb.bush@...

      * Florida Attorney General Charlie Crist
      The Capitol PL-01
      Tallahassee, FL 32399-1050
      Main office telephone numbers
      Switchboard: 850-414-3300
      Citizens Services: 850-414-3990
      Florida Relay/TDD: 800-955-8771
      Florida Toll Free: 1-866-966-7226
      Fax: 850-410-1630

      To obtain contact information for media outlets, go to:
      http://newslink.org/

      Please cc your correspondence to alerts@...

      Al-Awda, The Palestine Right to Return Coalition
      PO Box 131352
      Carlsbad, CA 92013, USA
      Tel: 760-685-3243
      Fax: 360-933-3568
      E-mail: info@...
      WWW: http://al-awda.org

      Fourth Annual International Al-Awda Convention
      San Francisco - July 14-16, 2006
      To register: http://al-awda.org/sf-conv_reserve.html
      To flyer, the writing is on the wall: http://al-awda.org/pdf/flyer.pdf
      For all other info: http://al-awda.org
    • Mohammed Sami Fadali
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2006
        I remember when I was a teenager in Egypt (this is around the late
        sixties)discussing the problems of the country with my uncle. I was
        saying that what we really needed was a strong but honest leader who
        will whip the country into shape. My uncle answered: "we've just
        tried that and it didn't work!". Of course he was referring to
        Nasser. I will repeat the same referring to Ataturk. Just because we
        like the politics of the dictator better does not make him any less
        offensive.

        As for rejecting the Ikhwan, while most of us do not support them this
        is irrelevant. They do have a significant number of followers in Egypt
        and are well organized. Ignoring or demonizing the large minority
        they represent because we disagree with them will not work and is
        frankly rather naive.

        Sami Fadali