[efiwebheads] Re: Was it a Virus?

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2000
      At 06:19 PM 30/12/99 EST, Vance wrote:

      >I saw messages from Moral, Deden, and Michael. Moral, thanks for the
      >greeting. I didn't get an attachment with it. Perhaps this only affects
      >those using Outlook Express. Are you an Outlook user Michael?

      No Vance. I use Eudora. It's interesting that you didn't get the
      attachment. I received 2 messages from Moral. The first one was a just a
      normal message with greetings from Moral, and the second one (which
      definitely came to me via the Webheads list) had no text and had the
      happy.exe attachment.

      Isn't this what the Happy.exe virus does - sends itself automatifcally to
      anyone you send an email to? Anyway, how come I got it and you didn't? Did
      anyone else receive the Happy.exe attachment from Moral?

      And Moral - have you had any problems with your computer? I hope not......
      Maybe what Moral sent was not the famous email virus file after all. I had
      another check and the one you have to worry about is Happy99.exe. You can
      read about that one at http://www.afp.zip.com.au/articles/happy99.html

      Regards,

      Michael Coghlan

      email: michaelc@... (home)
      michaelc@... (work)
    • VanceStev@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2000

        Y2K has come in the USA. The country was incredibly peaceful, with millions
        of people cramming into city centers to see fireworks and drink champaign in
        the streets. In California we drank cheap Californian sparkling wine, not
        the expensive champaign from France, of course.

        We were concerned about going into central San Francisco that night because a
        few New Years Eve's ago at Union Square we had witnessed people fighting and
        throwing bottles (one actually hit one of my kids). This year, in the middle
        of over a million people at the Embarcadero, the crowd was well behaved.
        Buses and trains were crowded but free. Not many people were drunk. I
        didn't see anyone get out of order. Everyone went nuts at midnight, but I
        was happiest to be enjoying it with my wife and both my boys, since it's not
        often we can all come together.

        There have been no Y2K effects here as far as we can see. There is some
        concern that some will surface when offices re-open tomorrow (Monday) but I
        don't think it's likely that anything will happen since the problem was
        always in the microprocessors in appliances (like in water pumps and ATM
        machines) that would have gone off by now if there was any problem.

        I'm happy to now confess that I had done absolutely nothing to prepare myself
        for Y2K. I bought not one bottle of water, nor did I stock up on cash, nor
        fill the gas tank in my rented car, nor download a single computer file to
        fix any anticipated problem with Y2K.

        I take that back. I did upgrade my virus checker just before New Year's, but
        I do that periodically anyway.

        I'm curious what everyone else did for Y2K or if anyone has had any problem.
        I know that Eileen was eagerly awaiting the millenium in anticipation of any
        problems with the computers she is responsible for.

        Also, I'm curious if anyone but Michael received a happy.exe file on their
        computer. We do send a lot of attachments in Webheads, but I've had no
        problem so far. But I haven't run ANY exe attachments that anyone has sent.
        I just delete those.

        I advise everyone to never run an attached exe file that you receive
        unsolicited (un-requested), and also treat doc files with suspicion. I've
        enjoyed everyone's cards though, and you shouldn't have any trouble visiting
        a website or reading email.

        So Webheads, how did you spend your New Years in your country? And has
        anyone else found this happy.exe file, or is Michael imagining things?

        I just did a search for 'happy' on my hard drive (Start / Find) and I
        definitely don't have this file on my computer.

        All the best for Y2K,

        Vance