[efiwebheads] Why Choi hates to ski

  • VanceStev@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 1999
      Hi Choi,

      Back in October, you sent in the following story. I have just now found it
      and corrected it and I am putting it up linked to your webheads webpage at
      http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/efwchoi.htm. You can find the
      corrections at:

      http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/efwchoi4.htm.

      The last line of your text revealed a problem that English speakers have in
      writing. You tried to solve the problem in a logical way, "watch out for the
      beginner
      who even does not control oneself". This doesn't actually agree, and the
      only two choices that do are himself or herself. Since these two pronouns
      both point to either men or women (to the exclusion of the other gender) then
      a solution is to change it to plural, beginners who don't know how to control
      themselves. This works for men and women. This is a problem that native
      English speakers have to commonly deal with in writing.

      Thanks for sending us an interesting story, and I'm very sorry for taking so
      long to recover it and put it on your web pages. Just compare the
      corrections with your original story to find ways to improve your writing in
      English, which is already very good.

      If anyone else would like to send us any stories, I'll be happy to correct
      them and put them on your webheads pages.

      Happy millenium,

      Vance

      Ski seems to be loved by many and is surely a exciting
      sport. However, here is the story why I hate ski.
      Three years ago, I went to ski for the first time of
      my life with my friends for one night and two days. I
      am a kind of person who learn very quickly. After
      training for all afternoon, I skied from early evening
      to night. I was better than my friend who skied
      before. I was enjoying the speed. During my third
      round, it happened suddenly. I bumped into a woman
      standing at the corner.
      It was all my fault. I could not stop myself nor she
      avoided. I and she fell off with even our ski
      shoes(??) took off. First I barely breathed but soon
      got to my feet. She could not stand up. The guide men
      took her to the doctor of the ski resort. I went there
      too. All the way to the room( where the doctor was),
      her husband keep watching me if I ran away. Oh my
      god!! I was so embarssed and angry. The doctor treated
      some medicine to her and I gave my name and phone
      number to her husband for further treatement. You know
      what, she was three-month pregnant!! I was so
      afraid and sorry that started to cry. No more ski
      after that.

      Everybody, be careful and watch out for the beginner
      who even does not control oneself~~~
      Choi.