[efiwebheads] Why do we "dress to kill"?

  • smith@dstech.com.br
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 1999
      Why do we "dress to kill"?

      "I could just kill you." "You slay me!" "That exam was a
      killer!" If a linguist from outer space were to land here to
      study the English language, he or she or it could reasonably
      conclude that we were all homicidal maniacs. Never mind "if
      looks could kill," it's a good thing that our words don't go
      around armed.

      We even dress in the spirit of mayhem. We may dress for
      success to make an impression in the business world. But to
      impress people under other circumstances, including romantic
      ones, we dress to kill. Why? Basically, it's the cave man and
      woman under our civilized surface. It invokes the literal
      conquest of the opposite sex, the making of a "kill." Club
      her/him on the head and drag the victim back to the cave. I
      tell you, sometimes English can be just murder!