The Palace was not working for some reason last night. We tried several
"Palaces" but at each one, we were told 'access denied'. Obviously,
something was wrong with the Palace server. Fortunately, we are all on ICQ,
so we could see when each of us was online, and as each appeared, we just
added the newcomer to the ICQ chat.
Ying Lan was there and, in response to our questions, gave us details about
the earthquake and its aftermath. She told us, for example, that when
President Lee visited Taichung, near the epicenter of the quake, his
helicopter put down in an elementary school, knocking a branch off a tree
which killed a child on the spot. One problem the Taiwan government faces
is the question of whether people must repay loans on homes destroyed in the
quake, and how to then get money to the 100,000 homeless who will need it to
rebuild their homes. Since Ying Lan works in a bank, it is a problem she
faces as well. It is hard for bank workers in Taiwan to deal with such
problems when some have lost family members in the disaster, and others are
still sleeping in cars for fear of aftershocks.
If you would like to read the chat, please visit:
Again, my apologies for those who are waiting for me to post corrected
papers to your websites, but I am doing it step by step.
Webheads is at http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/webheads.htm
An easier way: http://www.netword.com/webheads
On this site, you can ...
- meet the students, see their pictures, and explore their web pages
- find out how you can meet the students and teachers online
- read the text of our class meetings at the Palace
- find out about how you can join the eclass (email class)
- learn how you can improve your English by participating in Webheads
To join the Writing for Webheads eclass, just send blank email to
- Post email to the eclass at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To leave the eclass, send blank email to email@example.com
You can join or leave the class any time you wish.
The teachers are experienced volunteers, and classes are free.
Visit the eclass website at http://www.egroups.com
Here, you can ...
- read all the email the class members have sent
- get a hot-linked list of all the urls posted to the list
- chat with other members
If you need a definition for any words in this email, copy the text, visit
and paste the text in the window