[efiwebheads] Moral's hometown, Kunming

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 1999
      Hello everyone,

      Michael has corrected Moral's description of his city, Kunming, and you can
      find it posted at

      http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/hometown_moral.htm

      I also set a link to it from the Webheads Virtual Community page at

      http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/vcommunity.htm

      as well as from Moral's webheads homepage.

      Moral, have a look at Michael's version of your paper and compare it with
      what you wrote originally, and this can help you to improve your English.
      Also, I think the piece would be improved if we had some pictures of you and
      your city (if possible).

      One last thing: what did you mean by your last sentence? Have I got it
      right here?

      "But as in many other countries, 'please', 'thank you' and smile are types
      of friendly expressions."

      Thanks for writing. Everyone else, let's hear about where you live. It's
      interesting.

      Vance

      Webheads is at http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/webheads.htm
      An easier way: http://www.netword.com/webheads
      On this site, you can ...
      - meet the students, see their pictures, and explore their web pages
      - read the text of our class meetings at the Palace
      - find out about the eclass
      - learn how you can improve your English by participating in Webheads

      To join the Writing for Webheads eclass, just send blank email to
      efiwebheads-subscribe@egroups.com

      - Post email to the eclass at: efiwebheads@egroups.com

      You can join or leave the class any time you wish.
      The teachers are experienced volunteers, and classes are free.

      Visit the eclass website at http://www.egroups.com
      Here, you can ...
      - read all the email the class members have sent
      - get a hot-linked list of all the urls posted to the list
      - chat with other members

      If you need a definition for any words in this email, copy the text, visit
      http://www.voycabulary.com and paste the text in the window
    • Moral
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 1999
        Hi Vance and everyone,

        Thanks for your works and Michael's corretions. I am sorry I haven't made things clear. In the sentence "But as in many other countries, 'please', 'thank you' and smile are types of friendly expressions.", I meant "It is some ways to express friendly feelings by smiling and saying 'please' and ' thank you' ...etc."

        I'll also be waiting to read more stories about your hometowns.

        Good luck,

        Moral

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 1999
          Hi Moral,

          Michael writes to say that you are having trouble bringing your page up
          through the firewall in China. So here is the text of your writing
          (corrected) as it appears at

          http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/hometown_moral

          Moral's Hometown
          Kunming
          Things to visit
          If you have a chance to be here in the city of Kunming for a few days I
          would recommend you to:
          · visit the Expo'99 (International Horticultural Exposition' 99) which lasts
          from May 1st to October 31st. More than 90 countries have taken part in it.
          In one day you can learn about the horticultures and cultures of many
          different countries.
          · go to the Ethnic Villages, where you can see the life styles of the 26
          ethnic groups living in the province of Yunnan.
          · see the Stone Forest where you'll find out about the wonders of nature -
          different stones look like different things in the forest of stone.
          The culture
          Calling a person by his given name could be a kind of offence here. Usually,
          a person would be called by his surname, plus his position. For example, a
          teacher whose surname is Lee should be called teacher Lee, and a director
          whose surname is Wang should be called director Wang. It is quite different
          from other countries. But as in many other countries, saying 'please',
          'thank you' and smiling are different ways of expressing friendly feelings.

          At 10:25 AM 9/1/99 +0800, you wrote:
          >Hi Vance and everyone,
          >
          >Thanks for your works and Michael's corretions. I am sorry I haven't made
          things clear. In the sentence "But as in many other countries, 'please',
          'thank you' and smile are types of friendly expressions.", I meant "It is
          some ways to express friendly feelings by smiling and saying 'please' and '
          thank you' ...etc."

          >I'll also be waiting to read more stories about your hometowns.
          >
          >Good luck,
          >
          >Moral

          I think I pretty much understood what you were trying to say. Thanks for
          writing and for working on a revision of your composition.