Re: [efiwebheads] Some Webheads history

  • Sedat Akayoglu
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      It's great to see that this is the tenth year of this wonderful group. I
      have been following this group since 2005 (can be called a new member) and I
      learned many things from the members of this group. Thanks to everyone in
      this group who helped me to improve myself.

      Warm regards,

      Sedat Akayoglu
      Ankara, Turkey

      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > Someone has called my attention to the fact that this month,
      > Webheads will have its tenth anniversary. Here is a little history
      > of Webheads:
      >
      > Our first recorded chat was Sept 13, 1998
      > http://prosites-vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/chat1998.htm
      >
      > Writing for Webheads was started by me, Maggi Doty, and Michael
      > Coghlan even before that (but Sept 13 was the date of the first
      > recorded meeting we preserved).
      >
      > You can find a little more history here:
      > http://prosites-
      > vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/papers/tesol/publications/gvs26oct20
      > 05.htm
      >
      > Writing for Webheads (the list that sends you these emails) is still
      > an online group
      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/efiwebheads/
      >
      > There are 300 enrolled (non-bouncing) members but negligible
      > activity lately.
      >
      > By 2001 WfW was being overwhelmed with native-speaker teachers and
      > the language-learner voices were tapering off. This is where I got
      > the idea to start a group just for teachers, and chose EVO to do so,
      > in the 2002 sessions:
      > http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads_e
      > vo.htm
      >
      > Since 2004 Dafne Gonzalez and Teresa Almeida d'Eca thought we needed
      > a session that would try and restore the magic of the original, so
      > they created Becoming a Webheads, and they have been running those
      > courses each January ever since.
      >
      > Of course they were right and the magic is still there ;-)
      >
      > You can find more about Webheads at
      > http://webheads.info
      > and http://webheadsinaction.org
      >
      > Write the list if you have any comments or would like to see any
      > particular activies take place here.
      >
      > Vance

    • YD Chen
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
        I am proud of being a Webhead member.Venny from Taiwan introduced me to this wonderful group and I have introduced it to others including my students.I used to ask a senior Webhead member about the definition of webhead and she replied:
        A webhead is someone who keeps his eyes on the computer and runs to and fro while cooking in the kitchen. I knew she was teasing but I have always liked her witty tongue.Very often I runs between my computer and kitchen.
        Cheers for Webheads!
        Yaodong