Some Webheads history

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008

      Someone has called my attention to the fact that this month,
      Webheads will have its tenth anniversary. Here is a little history
      of Webheads:

      Our first recorded chat was Sept 13, 1998
      http://prosites-vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/chat1998.htm

      Writing for Webheads was started by me, Maggi Doty, and Michael
      Coghlan even before that (but Sept 13 was the date of the first
      recorded meeting we preserved).

      You can find a little more history here:
      http://prosites-
      vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/papers/tesol/publications/gvs26oct20
      05.htm

      Writing for Webheads (the list that sends you these emails) is still
      an online group
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/efiwebheads/

      There are 300 enrolled (non-bouncing) members but negligible
      activity lately.

      By 2001 WfW was being overwhelmed with native-speaker teachers and
      the language-learner voices were tapering off. This is where I got
      the idea to start a group just for teachers, and chose EVO to do so,
      in the 2002 sessions:
      http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads_e
      vo.htm

      Since 2004 Dafne Gonzalez and Teresa Almeida d'Eca thought we needed
      a session that would try and restore the magic of the original, so
      they created Becoming a Webheads, and they have been running those
      courses each January ever since.

      Of course they were right and the magic is still there ;-)

      You can find more about Webheads at
      http://webheads.info
      and http://webheadsinaction.org

      Write the list if you have any comments or would like to see any
      particular activies take place here.

      Vance
    • Sedat Akayoglu
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
        Hi all,

        It's great to see that this is the tenth year of this wonderful group. I
        have been following this group since 2005 (can be called a new member) and I
        learned many things from the members of this group. Thanks to everyone in
        this group who helped me to improve myself.

        Warm regards,

        Sedat Akayoglu
        Ankara, Turkey

        On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Someone has called my attention to the fact that this month,
        > Webheads will have its tenth anniversary. Here is a little history
        > of Webheads:
        >
        > Our first recorded chat was Sept 13, 1998
        > http://prosites-vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/chat1998.htm
        >
        > Writing for Webheads was started by me, Maggi Doty, and Michael
        > Coghlan even before that (but Sept 13 was the date of the first
        > recorded meeting we preserved).
        >
        > You can find a little more history here:
        > http://prosites-
        > vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/papers/tesol/publications/gvs26oct20
        > 05.htm
        >
        > Writing for Webheads (the list that sends you these emails) is still
        > an online group
        > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/efiwebheads/
        >
        > There are 300 enrolled (non-bouncing) members but negligible
        > activity lately.
        >
        > By 2001 WfW was being overwhelmed with native-speaker teachers and
        > the language-learner voices were tapering off. This is where I got
        > the idea to start a group just for teachers, and chose EVO to do so,
        > in the 2002 sessions:
        > http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads_e
        > vo.htm
        >
        > Since 2004 Dafne Gonzalez and Teresa Almeida d'Eca thought we needed
        > a session that would try and restore the magic of the original, so
        > they created Becoming a Webheads, and they have been running those
        > courses each January ever since.
        >
        > Of course they were right and the magic is still there ;-)
        >
        > You can find more about Webheads at
        > http://webheads.info
        > and http://webheadsinaction.org
        >
        > Write the list if you have any comments or would like to see any
        > particular activies take place here.
        >
        > Vance

      • YD Chen
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
          I am proud of being a Webhead member.Venny from Taiwan introduced me to this wonderful group and I have introduced it to others including my students.I used to ask a senior Webhead member about the definition of webhead and she replied:
          A webhead is someone who keeps his eyes on the computer and runs to and fro while cooking in the kitchen. I knew she was teasing but I have always liked her witty tongue.Very often I runs between my computer and kitchen.
          Cheers for Webheads!
          Yaodong