Spamming the list ( Was: Advisory Warning for Banking on Taiwan)

  • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
      Thanks Vance for moderating the list so carefully. I think the best
      way to take such messages is to ignore them, since directly replying
      tends to encourage flaming and spamming, and in replying one might
      unintentionally hurt the feelings of other people, as well.

      I'm sure, for example, that David was just joking when he said he
      would also like to draw cartoons that would piss off a billion
      others. If I thought otherwise, as a practicing Muslim I would
      certainly have taken offense, in spite of the message being merely
      intended as a resonse to a spammer from Taiwan, and its having
      nothing to do with me! :-)

      BTW, Vance, since I belong to some 20 YGs, I've also set myself
      to 'no mail' on most of them, and am used to checking things
      directly from the YG website, so please don't delete me if you
      noticed I'm set to 'no mail'! ;-)

      Peace,
      Susan Marandi

      --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, David Oliver <david.oliver@...>

      --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens" <vstevens@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
        Thanks Susan, for your tolerance and understanding, and for reminding
        us in a nice way that we do have to be quite careful of what we write
        to these lists.

        As it turns out I have been working rather hard lately, I've had some
        spare time, on the Writing for Webheads group. You can see one of
        the results here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/efiwebheads/

        There's been a facelift and an attempt at explaining what you can be
        doing in the revival of Writing for Webheads which I am hoping to
        carry forward gradually as people respond to my efforts.

        I've also done a bit of work at http://www.homestead.com/prosites-
        vstevens/files/efi/students.htm

        I'm sorry that our friends in China can't access this page. I'll try
        and do something about this perhaps this year, but for those who can
        see it, this is where all Writing for Webheads students are listed.
        Up until yesterday this page was out of date but I've been working
        with the YahooGroups list to see whose emails were bouncing and I've
        got that list updated now. We used to list 400 Writing for Webheads
        participants, and now we're at about 350. I would estimate that of
        those probably about 300 people are reading these emails (others have
        set their email to no mail or special announcements only).

        The interesting thing is the diversity of people who are on our
        list. We have people from several African countries, all over the
        Arab and Islamic world, several from Turkey, lots from Europe, all
        over Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, at least
        one from Burma, Laos not sure), North and South America, Australia
        and New Zealand, East Asia (Japan, Korea, China, LOTS from Taiwan
        thanks to Aiden), North and South America, did I leave anyone out?
        People in these countries are receiving the emails we post here.

        I'm thinking how to harness all this potential. I'm thinking how to
        do it in ways that highlights our similarities and diversity, not our
        differences, which under examination are probably imposed on us
        through culture and politics. I'd like to avoid these, especially
        the latter, in favor of exploring what we have in common.

        I will send more email soon about how we can use PBWIKI in particular
        to start writing about ourselves, but for right now I want you to
        know that I am hoping to get us all working on Webheads in such a way
        that I'm NOT doing all the work of maintaining the community. I'd
        like your support to the extent that you maintain your end of it.
        And I hope to show you how to do that.

        What you can do if you want to get started is go to
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/efiwebheads/

        and follow some of the directions there.

        I'll be back with you later,

        Vance

        --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "(Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi"

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
          > BTW, Vance, since I belong to some 20 YGs, I've also set myself
          > to 'no mail' on most of them, and am used to checking things
          > directly from the YG website, so please don't delete me if you
          > noticed I'm set to 'no mail'! ;-)
          >
          > Peace,
          > Susan Marandi

          Susan,

          I meant to mention that being set to no mail is not a reason for being
          removed from any of my lists. I am removing people whose email is
          bouncing, after double checking to be sure.

          Best,

          Vance
        • David Oliver
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
            Did David mention Muslims? Let's push beyond the salient in the sweet old
            world. The worse thing about the Danish cartoons as I see it is they weren't
            even funny. Wanna take a poke at Christians--watch Monty Puython's the Life
            of Bryan. Want to take poke at Jews--everythiung Woody Allen as has ever
            done will suffice. Do all Muslims stanbd to b e insultewd--always? Isn't a
            sense of humor a gift from God? Try it. Don't lop off headfs. Have a laugh.

            --
            http://anenglishoasis.com