Re: [efiwebheads] Regarding spam messages on efiwebheads

  • David Oliver
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2006
      Bots can't join groups. Where did the original conformation go?

      --
      http://anenglishoasis.com

    • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
        Thanks Vance for moderating the list so carefully. I think the best
        way to take such messages is to ignore them, since directly replying
        tends to encourage flaming and spamming, and in replying one might
        unintentionally hurt the feelings of other people, as well.

        I'm sure, for example, that David was just joking when he said he
        would also like to draw cartoons that would piss off a billion
        others. If I thought otherwise, as a practicing Muslim I would
        certainly have taken offense, in spite of the message being merely
        intended as a resonse to a spammer from Taiwan, and its having
        nothing to do with me! :-)

        BTW, Vance, since I belong to some 20 YGs, I've also set myself
        to 'no mail' on most of them, and am used to checking things
        directly from the YG website, so please don't delete me if you
        noticed I'm set to 'no mail'! ;-)

        Peace,
        Susan Marandi

        --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, David Oliver <david.oliver@...>

        --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens" <vstevens@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
          Thanks Susan, for your tolerance and understanding, and for reminding
          us in a nice way that we do have to be quite careful of what we write
          to these lists.

          As it turns out I have been working rather hard lately, I've had some
          spare time, on the Writing for Webheads group. You can see one of
          the results here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/efiwebheads/

          There's been a facelift and an attempt at explaining what you can be
          doing in the revival of Writing for Webheads which I am hoping to
          carry forward gradually as people respond to my efforts.

          I've also done a bit of work at http://www.homestead.com/prosites-
          vstevens/files/efi/students.htm

          I'm sorry that our friends in China can't access this page. I'll try
          and do something about this perhaps this year, but for those who can
          see it, this is where all Writing for Webheads students are listed.
          Up until yesterday this page was out of date but I've been working
          with the YahooGroups list to see whose emails were bouncing and I've
          got that list updated now. We used to list 400 Writing for Webheads
          participants, and now we're at about 350. I would estimate that of
          those probably about 300 people are reading these emails (others have
          set their email to no mail or special announcements only).

          The interesting thing is the diversity of people who are on our
          list. We have people from several African countries, all over the
          Arab and Islamic world, several from Turkey, lots from Europe, all
          over Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, at least
          one from Burma, Laos not sure), North and South America, Australia
          and New Zealand, East Asia (Japan, Korea, China, LOTS from Taiwan
          thanks to Aiden), North and South America, did I leave anyone out?
          People in these countries are receiving the emails we post here.

          I'm thinking how to harness all this potential. I'm thinking how to
          do it in ways that highlights our similarities and diversity, not our
          differences, which under examination are probably imposed on us
          through culture and politics. I'd like to avoid these, especially
          the latter, in favor of exploring what we have in common.

          I will send more email soon about how we can use PBWIKI in particular
          to start writing about ourselves, but for right now I want you to
          know that I am hoping to get us all working on Webheads in such a way
          that I'm NOT doing all the work of maintaining the community. I'd
          like your support to the extent that you maintain your end of it.
          And I hope to show you how to do that.

          What you can do if you want to get started is go to
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/efiwebheads/

          and follow some of the directions there.

          I'll be back with you later,

          Vance

          --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "(Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi"

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
            > BTW, Vance, since I belong to some 20 YGs, I've also set myself
            > to 'no mail' on most of them, and am used to checking things
            > directly from the YG website, so please don't delete me if you
            > noticed I'm set to 'no mail'! ;-)
            >
            > Peace,
            > Susan Marandi

            Susan,

            I meant to mention that being set to no mail is not a reason for being
            removed from any of my lists. I am removing people whose email is
            bouncing, after double checking to be sure.

            Best,

            Vance
          • David Oliver
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
              Did David mention Muslims? Let's push beyond the salient in the sweet old
              world. The worse thing about the Danish cartoons as I see it is they weren't
              even funny. Wanna take a poke at Christians--watch Monty Puython's the Life
              of Bryan. Want to take poke at Jews--everythiung Woody Allen as has ever
              done will suffice. Do all Muslims stanbd to b e insultewd--always? Isn't a
              sense of humor a gift from God? Try it. Don't lop off headfs. Have a laugh.

              --
              http://anenglishoasis.com