Re: [efiwebheads] Digest Number 1176

  • vstevens
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      In the past, as something we didn't do and now we regret it, the sentence
      would read

      We should have kept early hours

      Anyone feel free to write your questions to this list.

      Also, Silvana Velasquez, from Pereira, Colombia, thank you for introducing
      yourself on our list. I'll try to start a web page for you. I'm not
      keeping up with the website as much as I did in the past ...

      Oh, in the time it would have taken me to explain and make excuses, I just
      made a page for you real fast:

      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/silvana.htm

      Welcome to Webheads,

      Vance

      Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:44:17 +0800 (CST)
      From: yiwen su <huhaye@...>
      Subject: Re: a question regarding grammar

      Dear KKM and Vance:

      Thank you so much for your help. I do now know more about how to use the
      word "Should"! I asked the question because a teacher of my brother told him
      "we should keep early hours" should be used as past sentence, and that
      confused me.

      Really appreciate for your help!

      Un beso

      Fin

      vstevens <vstevens@...> wrote:

      Hi Fin,

      Thanks for your message to our list, and nice to hear from you.

      To answer your question, we have to distinguish between FORM and FUNCTION.
      The FORM of should in each of these sentences is present. 'Should be' and
      'Should keep' are both present tense forms of should.

      The FUNCTION of should in each sentence is future. She should be told
      immediately, but actually this is not now, or present, but it is something
      we should do in the future, and immediately (or as soon as possible, but
      still in the future).

      We should keep early hours is also something we should do in the future.
      Here the meaning is 'conditional', meaning, if certain conditions apply (we
      become better people, we set our alarms, and so on) then in the future we
      should behave differently than we do now (apparently, now, we are staying up
      too late). I think to keep early hours means to go to bed early, but not
      necessarily get up early.

      To see more examples, try out this Hong Kong Virtual Language Centre web
      based concordancer at: http://www.edict.com.hk/concordance/ . Choose the LOB
      or Brown corpus and set the search string equal to 'should' and you can try
      to sort the examples of how 'should' is used in real English into patterns
      that you can identify.

      If anyone on this list tries this, please write back and tell us your
      results,

      Best,

      Vance
    • Denilson de Borba
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hello everybody,

        I would like to send my messenger address to everybody
        ddenilson@..., so we can chat often and pratice our english.

        Big hug to everybody,

        Dan