Re: [efiwebheads] a question regarding grammar

  • yiwen su
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Dear KKM and Vance:

      Thank you so much for your help. I do now know more about how to use the word "Should"! I asked the question because a teacher of my brother told him "we should keep early hours" should be used as past sentence, and that confused me.

      Really appreciate for your help!

      Un beso

      Fin

      vstevens <vstevens@...> wrote:

      Hi Fin,

      Thanks for your message to our list, and nice to hear from you.

      To answer your question, we have to distinguish between FORM and FUNCTION.
      The FORM of should in each of these sentences is present. 'Should be' and
      'Should keep' are both present tense forms of should.

      The FUNCTION of should in each sentence is future. She should be told
      immediately, but actually this is not now, or present, but it is something
      we should do in the future, and immediately (or as soon as possible, but
      still in the future).

      We should keep early hours is also something we should do in the future.
      Here the meaning is 'conditional', meaning, if certain conditions apply (we
      become better people, we set our alarms, and so on) then in the future we
      should behave differently than we do now (apparently, now, we are staying up
      too late). I think to keep early hours means to go to bed early, but not
      necessarily get up early.

      To see more examples, try out this Hong Kong Virtual Language Centre web
      based concordancer at: http://www.edict.com.hk/concordance/ . Choose the LOB
      or Brown corpus and set the search string equal to 'should' and you can try
      to sort the examples of how 'should' is used in real English into patterns
      that you can identify.

      If anyone on this list tries this, please write back and tell us your
      results,

      Best,

      Vance

      > Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:22:33 -0000
      > From: "huhaye"
      > Subject: a question regarding grammar
      >

      > Dear all:
      >
      > I saw this exercise on my brother's text book and I found it not
      > making any sense... please could you help me out?
      >
      > This is an exercise about how to use "should" to make a sentense. We
      > know that should can be used both in present tense and past tense
      > and this exercise is to ask students to combine sentencses:
      >
      > 1. She should be told immediately. This is essential.
      > ---> It is essential that she should be told immediately.
      >
      > 2. important....We should keep early hours(doesn't it mean go to bed
      > early and get up early?).
      > ----> It was important that we should keep early hours.
      >
      > Why the first sentense use present tense and the second one use past
      > tense? Shouldn't they both mean that is a must do so we need to use
      > present tense? Please help me out, really appreciate for your help.
      >
      > Fin

      Yahoo! Groups Links