Re: Introduction from Syed.

  • nofiljee
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
      Dear Ramgopal
      It was really interesting to read about the exciting victory of an
      Indian girl in such a remarkably tough contest. My hats off to
      Gayathri. It's sort of inspiration for all of us that we can always
      turn things in our favour through passionate and consistent workout.

      I am also pleased to learn something more about Kerala through your
      previous mail. Although I came to know 10 years before that Kerala is
      the most literate state of India, you have given a more detailed and
      insight information which is really enlightening.

      My friend, although there is a considerable age difference between us
      but let it be no barrier. It was an electrifying experience to
      receive such a warm and positive welcome from a friend in my
      neighboring country despite some political indifferences. I feel like
      heaven for receiving such a generous offer from you to visit your
      current dwelling place, Banglore and be rest assured that I will not
      spare any opportunity to be with you whenever it is possible.
      Likewise, I would be more than happy to see you at my home, let me
      know whenever you get a chance to come and we will have a good time.
      We foresee a further development on many bilateral issues including
      visa and immigration facilities between the so-called rivals, which
      is a good sign.

      Let me tell you the reason as to why it took almost a week to respond
      you. Actually, I got busy in my cousin's wedding and there was lot of
      things to do which refrained me from being on my computer for a
      while. Now the part is over and we will have time for chitchat. I
      took one week leaves from my office, and that became some sort of
      obligation otherwise, my balance leaves would also have exhausted as
      there is no policy of accumulating balance leaves to the proceeding
      year, neither there lies a flexibility of leave encashment.

      The last thing, I want to know if you could suggest me something good
      for reading. I fully understand the importance of reading for good
      English skills but unfortunately (I'm nuts) I barely spare any time
      on this activity on daily basis. The only thing I do is to read a few
      articles in a local newspaper, which is not enough. Another problem
      is my understanding with advance grammar. I only understand a few
      basic things like tenses and parts of speech but I know there is a
      huge ocean beyond these two things, which is still unexplored. But
      really have no idea where to take start? I hope you will help.

      I think it's enough for now.

      Kind regards
      Sayed

      --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, Ramgopal <ramgopal1941@v...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Syed,
      >
      > Trust you are in receipt of my reply.
      >
      > Since subject of discussion is English language, I thought I will
      forward the following newsitem from the local daily. This supports my
      view that folks from Kerala are good in education. It is no surprise
      that majority of our TV/ Radio news presenters are from my state ?.
      You know why ?. Our mother tongue is called Malayalam (try reading it
      backwards !!), a dravidian language evolved from Samskritam (Sanskrit
      for the west) that has the maximum alphabets 56. We have a few
      alphabets that are unique with no equivalents in any other Indian
      language. Once you learn Malayalam (even spoken with no writing or
      reading skills) you can pronounce any word from any world language -
      that much is the "tongue" control or whatever you call it, you
      achieve through this language, for producing the right noises, with a
      bit of training on articulation and accent. Call centres are a big
      draw for school/college dropouts. I am not boasting about my people
      or my language, please. Pl. check with any other Kerala fellow. You
      will know.

      > Regards,
      > Ram.
      >

      > Kerala girls cast a spell in English
      >
      > FROM SHYAM BHATIA
      > DH NEWS SERVICE, LONDON:
      >

      > Not content with producing bestsellers like Salman Rushdie and
      Vikram Seth, India can now also take pride in turning out the world's
      best spellers.

      > Gayathri Panniker and Nisha Thomas stunned their ethnic English
      counterparts when they reached the finals of BBC television's Hard
      Spell competition.

      > As millions watched the quiz show on Sunday night, the two young
      girls from Kerala battled it out over words like apocalypse and
      chihuahua. The first prize worth £10,000 and £15,000 worth of
      computer equipment went to 13-year-old Gayathri who arrived in
      England at the age of 5, speaking fluent Malayalam and only a few
      words of English.But she made up for lost time by playing word games
      with her family and reading every English language book she could lay
      her hands on.

      > Her immaculate performance stunned her own parents who admit they
      could not possibly have matched their daughter's performance. "I knew
      I stood a good chance but I was really worried I would come across a
      word I had never heard of," says Gayathri whose family has settled in
      the town of Ormskirk in Lancashire.
      > "I don't know what subpoena or disequilibrium mean, but I took my
      time and got the spelling right. When I won, I just burst into
      tears." Some 100,000 children auditioned for the prime time
      television quiz show that challenged youngsters aged 11 to 14 to
      spell tongue twisting words.

      > Last Sunday's finals started with five contestants who were reduced
      to three for the last round. Gayathri had to fight it out with 12-
      year-old Nisha Thomas from Wolverhampton and 13-year-old Mark Jackson
      from Cambridge. Mark lost when he failed to spell toxophilite.That
      left only Gayathri and Nisha and Gayathri was declared the winner
      after she correctly spelt chihuahua and Nisha floundered over
      dachshund.

      > Gayathri's parents, Suresh and Priya, are both medical
      practitioners who emigrated to England from Kerala in 1992.

      > Commenting on his daughter's achievement, 41-year-old Dr Suresh
      Panniker said, "She picked up the language so quickly. Even so I
      couldn't believe she could spell so many words. There were many I
      would have struggled to spell.
      > "I asked her afterwards how she could spell so many words and she
      said she remembered them from novels she has read."Gayathri also
      speaks fluent French and Spanish and says she hopes to be a novelist
      when she is older. Her favourite subjects are drama and English and
      her favourite author is Agatha Christie.

      > At Merchant Taylors' School for girls in Liverpool, where Gayathri
      is a student, headmistress Julie Brandreth said of her prize winning
      pupil, "Gayathri has a natural determination to succeed and the
      ability to succeed under pressure. We are very proud of her."