Introduction

  • nofiljee
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hello Friends
      This is Sayed, your new friend. I am glad to become a member of this
      community. English is not our mother tongue and we use it as an
      official language in Pakistan. I have a burning desire to augment my
      English skills to a superb level in every possible way. Be it
      spoken, written or reading, I just want to set the world on fire by
      making the most of every possible opportunity I may have.

      Tell me what are your suggestions for me to establish excellent
      communication skills and in how many ways we can take benefit being
      a part of this wonderful online community.

      Kind regards
      Sayed
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2004

        Welcome to Sayed and to all other new Webheads members.

        Sayed asks how participants in this list can take advantage of
        opportunities to improve English here. There are many ways. One is
        to come to the online chats that we have each Saturday at 16:00 GMT
        and Sunday noon GMT at http://www.tappedin.org . The Sunday chats
        tend to have teachers there, but all are welcome. The Saturday
        events are organized by one of our original Webheads, Maggi Doty.
        Perhaps Maggi can respond to this message and tell you more about
        those.

        Another way to interact is to write to this list in response to one
        another, as I am doing now. When doing this, we appreciate items of
        a personal nature, items addressed to individuals in the group, or
        items on topics that might get group members to respond. Also, you
        should write your postings yourself. You can point us to URLs on
        line but please don't copy from web sites and paste lots of text to
        this list. That's about the only thing we don't allow (that we have
        experienced infrequently in the past).

        Another way is to develop your web presence online. I have been
        maintaining an extensive site of pages helping participants in this
        community to meet one another. I have just made one for Sayed here:

        http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/sayed.htm

        However, I'm getting less and less time to maintain this work. I
        will soon be starting tutorials that will help YOU the members of
        this community, to maintain your own web presences. Although the
        materials are not yet ready, you can find out more about this project
        here:

        http://www.homestead.com/prosites-
        vstevens/files/efi/papers/tesol/evo2005/webpresence.htm

        I've asked in the past if anyone on this list would be interested in
        learning how to do this. As of yet I've had no feedback but I'm going
        ahead with the project anyway.

        If you're interested in learning more, write us back on the list,

        Best, and Sayed, thanks for writing ...

        Vance

        --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "nofiljee" <nofiljee@g...> wrote:

        > Hello Friends
        > This is Sayed, your new friend. I am glad to become a member of
        this
        > community. English is not our mother tongue and we use it as an
        > official language in Pakistan. I have a burning desire to augment
        my
        > English skills to a superb level in every possible way. Be it
        > spoken, written or reading, I just want to set the world on fire by
        > making the most of every possible opportunity I may have.
        >
        > Tell me what are your suggestions for me to establish excellent
        > communication skills and in how many ways we can take benefit being
        > a part of this wonderful online community.
        >
        > Kind regards
        > Sayed
      • Ramgopal
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2004
          Hi all,
          Thanks Vance, if I may address you so !!.
          Look forward to hear from you more often.
          I am from India and we are in the same boat as Sayed.
          Regards,
          Ramgopal.
          Bangalore.

          I am giving below a short essay on how Indians benefited from the British rule.

          Its a known fact that many foreigners
          have little knowledge of India and still feel that we are a
          country of elephants, snake charmers, rope trick performers and the ubiquitous swamis (gurus).
          I am not an anglophile, but a true
          nationalist (not a fundamentalist) and very proud to be an Indian.
          We "threw out" the British in the 40's, but,
          one should not forget their contribution, which may be
          summarised 1. Judiciary 2. Railways 3. Post and Telegraph 4. Civil Service
          5. Survey, Revenue, Census, Archaeological department to preserve the
          ancient monuments and above all English language. One must remember that right from
          the days of Alexander, India was under some foreign ruler or other like
          Timor, Mughals, Europeans of all varieties, the Dutch, Portuguese,
          French and British in parts of this continent. Amongst the British we come
          across extremes like Robert Clive on the one end and some well-known
          indophiles who took pains to understand the rich culture of this country and
          Asiatic Society was started by an English man, while the seeds of freedom
          from the British yoke were spread by an Irish man. Other colonisers were
          more interested in spreading their religious beliefs, the Portuguese
          being the worst. Goa is a typical example. It is also important to note that
          prior to the arrival of the British we had regional rulers, the so-called
          Maharajas, who, with a few exceptions, were totally insulated from the
          common man and public affairs and looted the wealth of the country in
          collusion with the foreign rulers.

          | Welcome to Sayed and to all other new Webheads members.
          |
          | Sayed asks how participants in this list can take advantage of
          | opportunities to improve English here. There are many ways. One is
          | to come to the online chats that we have each Saturday at 16:00 GMT
          | and Sunday noon GMT at http://www.tappedin.org . The Sunday chats
          | tend to have teachers there, but all are welcome. The Saturday
          | events are organized by one of our original Webheads, Maggi Doty.
          | Perhaps Maggi can respond to this message and tell you more about
          | those.
          |
          | Another way to interact is to write to this list in response to one
          | another, as I am doing now. When doing this, we appreciate items of
          | a personal nature, items addressed to individuals in the group, or
          | items on topics that might get group members to respond. Also, you
          | should write your postings yourself. You can point us to URLs on
          | line but please don't copy from web sites and paste lots of text to
          | this list. That's about the only thing we don't allow (that we have
          | experienced infrequently in the past).
          |
          | Another way is to develop your web presence online. I have been
          | maintaining an extensive site of pages helping participants in this
          | community to meet one another. I have just made one for Sayed here:
          |
          | http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/sayed.htm
          |
          | However, I'm getting less and less time to maintain this work. I
          | will soon be starting tutorials that will help YOU the members of
          | this community, to maintain your own web presences. Although the
          | materials are not yet ready, you can find out more about this project
          | here:
          |
          | http://www.homestead.com/prosites-
          | vstevens/files/efi/papers/tesol/evo2005/webpresence.htm
          |
          | I've asked in the past if anyone on this list would be interested in
          | learning how to do this. As of yet I've had no feedback but I'm going
          | ahead with the project anyway.
          |
          | If you're interested in learning more, write us back on the list,
          |
          | Best, and Sayed, thanks for writing ...
          |
          | Vance
          |

          | --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "nofiljee" <nofiljee@g...> wrote:
          | >
          | > Hello Friends
          | > This is Sayed, your new friend. I am glad to become a member of
          | this
          | > community. English is not our mother tongue and we use it as an
          | > official language in Pakistan. I have a burning desire to augment
          | my
          | > English skills to a superb level in every possible way. Be it
          | > spoken, written or reading, I just want to set the world on fire by
          | > making the most of every possible opportunity I may have.
          | >
          | > Tell me what are your suggestions for me to establish excellent
          | > communication skills and in how many ways we can take benefit being
          | > a part of this wonderful online community.
          | >
          | > Kind regards
          | > Sayed
          |

          | Yahoo! Groups Links

        • nofiljee
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2004
            Dear Vance and Ramgopal
            I am glad to hear from you guys and Vance thank you very much for
            creating an introductory web page for me. This was something I was
            about to inquire to do it on my own. Anyhow, say if I wish to add
            some other content about my activities, and me then how this could be
            possible.

            I would appreciate if you let me know what kind of mistakes I made or
            making in my emails.

            Do you allow your students to add something on their own, like making
            it more dynamic, obviously not on daily but on monthly or bi-monthly
            basis.

            I am desperate to hear from you at your convenience.

            I wish to tell something more about me my friends. I am male and 33
            years old. My job is purely related to international trade and right
            now I am working with a Chinese firm in Karachi dealing in Home
            Fashion Textile items. We are covering a considerable part of the
            over all Pakistani exports, at least from our city Karachi.

            Pakistan is well renowned for it's exports in this area as we produce
            high quality cotton, which is perhaps considered No.2 or 3 in the
            whole world.

            That's enough about job. In my leisure time I used to give time to 3d
            animations and English but now I have given up the animation thing as
            it was sucking most of my valuable time. Instead, I have a very good
            feeling about the benefits I can harness from the time I spend on
            boosting my English skills because it helps me a lot in my job.

            I will tell you more about me in my next email. Till then Cheers and
            have a good time.

            Kind regards
            Sayed

            --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens" <vstevens@e...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Vance
            >

            > --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "nofiljee" <nofiljee@g...>
            wrote:

            > > Hello Friends
            > > This is Sayed, your new friend. I am glad to become a member of
            > this
            > > community. English is not our mother tongue and we use it as an
            > > official language in Pakistan. I have a burning desire to augment
            > my
            > > English skills to a superb level in every possible way. Be it
            > > spoken, written or reading, I just want to set the world on fire
            by
            > > making the most of every possible opportunity I may have.
            > >
            > > Tell me what are your suggestions for me to establish excellent
            > > communication skills and in how many ways we can take benefit
            being
            > > a part of this wonderful online community.

          • Syed Iqbal
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2004
              Dear Ramgopal
              Thanks for your excellent piece of writing. I have told you about my
              age, gender, nature of job and would be pleased to know something like
              this about you Ram.

              Tell me in some detail and give me a chance to get back to you soon.

              Kind regards
              Sayed

            • Ramgopal
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2004
                Hi Sayed,
                Good to hear from you again and your compliments. Now then, about myself. I shall be as brief as possible. Ok ? Here we go.

                Assuming that you have a fair idea about this country's geography, I wish to tell you that I am from the southernmost state of India - Kerala, a state good for excellent education thanks largely to the work of Christian Missionaries and different Governments that came in to power after Independence.We havethe highest percentage of literacy and also lead in many other aspects like the best public health, family planning, population control figures and perhaps the only state in India where a female child is equally welcome as a male progeny with a healthy gender ratio.Indians,traditionally,prefer sons to daughters. Large scale abuse of MRI scan during pregnancy results in female foeticide and gender ratio is in danger in some states. Girls will be become a premium "commodity" very soon if this trend continues !!!. Unfortunately, the downside of education is that we are somewhat "arrogant" lot within the state and very right-conscious too. Result - No industries, high wages. Therefore, we are the most mobile people on earth !!. You will see us everywhere. The moment a keralite is out of his state, he is the best worker as its is a question of survival for him. Exodus to the Gulf countries is a recent phenomena. During my days (I am a 64 year old retired person settled in Bangalore) we did not have the gulf boom and petro dollars. We used to say that those days the Shaiks used to enjoy their leisure with his camels, hooka,belly dancers and harem in any oasis in the desert. Due to limited opportunities we used to migrate to other states, Bombay being the prime target which even today continues to be the financial capital of India. I followed the same migratory route in 1966 and landed a job with a British company Imperial Chemical Industries (the well know ICI) India Private Ltd. in their dyes and textiles chemicals division in their laboratories, where my Chemistry degree helped me to progress to become the regional manager of South (4 states Karnataka,Kerala,Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh) before I retired 5 years back. I am a free lance colour consultant to a few garment exporters. My cousin at Madras has his own Men's shirts making facility (1800 shirts/day. We are vendors to Levis Strauss US and Canada ("Dockers" brand) and also to Landmark in Hong Kong. We also sell domestic and our brand is "Navigator" with retail outlets in Madras, Bangalore and Hyderabad. Garment business is great, as you know it well, and it is growing at 15% on men's shirts and 30% in trousers segments, despite the fact that hardly 5% of Indians prefer ready made garments, rest still prefer the old tailor !!!!. I don't know how it is in your country. I am sure those who read this will see a synergy between you and me as both of us are, coincidentally, related to garment business !!. While the people of Pakistan and India have no enmity, unfortunately its the politicians who do not want peace as they will be out of business.

                I think this will do for the moment and if we continue to write, perhaps we can progress to talk about our families and may be plans to meet each other !!, Why not ?. Food, Shelter and Guidance guaranteed !!. You are most welcome to visit our beautiful Bangalore, which is the happening place in India with IT, Bio-Tech and Garment taking the cake.

                Hope to hear from you, at the same time apologies to those whose patience was tested through long narration.

                Regards,
                Ram.
                | Thanks for your excellent piece of writing. I have told you about my
                | age, gender, nature of job and would be pleased to know something like
                | this about you Ram.
                |
                | Tell me in some detail and give me a chance to get back to you soon.
                |
                | Kind regards
                | Sayed
                |

                | On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:12:56 +0530, Ramgopal <ramgopal1941@...> wrote:
                | > Hi all,
                | > Thanks Vance, if I may address you so !!.
                | > Look forward to hear from you more often.
                | > I am from India and we are in the same boat as Sayed.
                | > Regards,
                | > Ramgopal.
                | > Bangalore.
                | >
                | > I am giving below a short essay on how Indians benefited from the British
                | > rule.
                | >
                | > Its a known fact that many foreigners
                | > have little knowledge of India and still feel that we are a
                | > country of elephants, snake charmers, rope trick performers and the
                | > ubiquitous swamis (gurus).
                | > I am not an anglophile, but a true
                | > nationalist (not a fundamentalist) and very proud to be an Indian.
                | > We "threw out" the British in the 40's, but,
                | > one should not forget their contribution, which may be
                | > summarised 1. Judiciary 2. Railways 3. Post and Telegraph 4. Civil Service
                | > 5. Survey, Revenue, Census, Archaeological department to preserve the
                | > ancient monuments and above all English language. One must remember that
                | > right from
                | > the days of Alexander, India was under some foreign ruler or other like
                | > Timor, Mughals, Europeans of all varieties, the Dutch, Portuguese,
                | > French and British in parts of this continent. Amongst the British we come
                | > across extremes like Robert Clive on the one end and some well-known
                | > indophiles who took pains to understand the rich culture of this country and
                | > Asiatic Society was started by an English man, while the seeds of freedom
                | > from the British yoke were spread by an Irish man. Other colonisers were
                | > more interested in spreading their religious beliefs, the Portuguese
                | > being the worst. Goa is a typical example. It is also important to note that
                | > prior to the arrival of the British we had regional rulers, the so-called
                | > Maharajas, who, with a few exceptions, were totally insulated from the
                | > common man and public affairs and looted the wealth of the country in
                | > collusion with the foreign rulers.

                | > |
                | > |
                | > | Hi everyone,
                | > |
                | > | Welcome to Sayed and to all other new Webheads members.
                | > |
                | > | Sayed asks how participants in this list can take advantage of
                | > | opportunities to improve English here. There are many ways. One is
                | > | to come to the online chats that we have each Saturday at 16:00 GMT
                | > | and Sunday noon GMT at http://www.tappedin.org . The Sunday chats
                | > | tend to have teachers there, but all are welcome. The Saturday
                | > | events are organized by one of our original Webheads, Maggi Doty.
                | > | Perhaps Maggi can respond to this message and tell you more about
                | > | those.
                | > |
                | > | Another way to interact is to write to this list in response to one
                | > | another, as I am doing now. When doing this, we appreciate items of
                | > | a personal nature, items addressed to individuals in the group, or
                | > | items on topics that might get group members to respond. Also, you
                | > | should write your postings yourself. You can point us to URLs on
                | > | line but please don't copy from web sites and paste lots of text to
                | > | this list. That's about the only thing we don't allow (that we have
                | > | experienced infrequently in the past).
                | > |
                | > | Another way is to develop your web presence online. I have been
                | > | maintaining an extensive site of pages helping participants in this
                | > | community to meet one another. I have just made one for Sayed here:
                | > |
                | > | http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/sayed.htm
                | > |
                | > | However, I'm getting less and less time to maintain this work. I
                | > | will soon be starting tutorials that will help YOU the members of
                | > | this community, to maintain your own web presences. Although the
                | > | materials are not yet ready, you can find out more about this project
                | > | here:
                | > |
                | > | http://www.homestead.com/prosites-
                | > | vstevens/files/efi/papers/tesol/evo2005/webpresence.htm
                | > |
                | > | I've asked in the past if anyone on this list would be interested in
                | > | learning how to do this. As of yet I've had no feedback but I'm going
                | > | ahead with the project anyway.
                | > |
                | > | If you're interested in learning more, write us back on the list,
                | > |
                | > | Best, and Sayed, thanks for writing ...
                | > |
                | > | Vance