RE: [efiwebheads] slaughter's day

  • Juani B.
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17 10:43 AM
      Hi Antonio:
      This a great and very nice community that Vance coordinates so well.We meet
      every Sunday at 12 GMT that is 8.45 am for me .We hope to see you in our
      next meetings.

      I was thinking exactly the same when I answered your previous email.
      How funny it was to write in English to a person that spoke my own
      language.The thing is we must share our thoughts with other members of the
      community.

      You and everybody from webheads are very welcome to visit my country and
      enjoy the places I have described.
      Saludos desde Chile Juani

      La Union
      Chile

      MSN Amor: busca tu ½ naranja http://latam.msn.com/amor/
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2004
        Hello Antonio (and all others)

        some time ago, you told us a wonderfully authentic story from your
        experiences on Slaughter's day. I would like to share some thoughts and
        memories this story was provoking in me.

        First, as it is a long time since I was actively writing here, let me tell
        you that I was born and live in Denmark, and took up English after many
        years of not using it actively, or only occasionally. Meeting and
        collaborating with Webheads since 2000, has enabled me to write, think and
        speak almost fluently.

        My life has brought many unexpected surprises - like Antonio, I had never
        attended a slaughtering as the only animals I really knew (apart from in Zoo
        and circus) were domesticated cats and dogs. When our second child was a
        baby, we went to live in the countryside and my husband was dying to raise
        some chicken and goats, and even a pig. We started with ten confused
        chicken, brought on a moped in a sack! In the beginning when we opened the
        sack and let them out, , I was horrified with the poultry, I just could not
        take their flappering wings and the nasty smell - but then they calmed
        down, ate some grains and settled for the night on their sitting board, I
        felt pity with them and decided to help them feel at ease with us. I
        started to like feeding them and was extremely proud when they started to
        lay their first eggs. Our daughter was two years old and totally fearless,
        so we brought her with us to feed them, and very soon, she could take up a
        chicken in her arms and caress it! That summer we started getting little
        baby chicken, and one day they grew up, four out of ten were roosters, and
        constantly fighting. This is the nature and a reason why you can only have
        a limited number of male chicken! Well - what I had not realized was that
        once you have got poultry, you're also going to eat them from time to time.
        And I cannot express my horror when we cut off his head, as I was holding
        his body on the wood block and my husband was swinging his axe! The kids
        were interested and unsentimental spectators and loved to get the cut off
        feet and the head to examine, and they could play for many days with
        feathers, stones and sticks to build their own farm. Honestly, we honored a
        very low consumption of resources, used a lot of recycling never spent much
        money on readymade toys, and plastic was almost banned, except for some Lego
        construction bricks!

        Later, I got used to raising animals and the tough consequences, and also
        learned how to deal with the messy work before you had a Sunday roast;
        plucking and the feathers and removing the stinky, slimy guts. After a
        while, I was even ready to slaughter a young troublemaker rooster all on my
        own, as a spontaneous act of revenge because it was constantly attacking the
        hens, and also me when I wanted to enter the chicken enclosure! And on that
        occasion, when I hung up his dead body in a tree to remove the blood, I felt
        empowered with new energy like someone who had reached a new level of
        mastering genuine country life. Although this event is dating back in 1975,
        I can still feel this sense of victory. But I never repeated the success, I
        hated when the friendly goats were slaughtered and avoided to participate,
        and when our very dear pig had to be taken to the slaughter house, I did not
        even assist getting her to enter the van, and when I had to pick her up
        later that day, cut into portions and with her beloved head on top of the
        bloody flesh chunks, I gradually turned into an almost vegetarian for many
        years, having totally lost appetite for meat, at least when I had to prepare
        it on my own.

        But that's another story!

        Sus
      • J Barrientos
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2004
          That was a very nice story,Sus.It´s wonderful how Antonio´s story could
          bring your memories up.
          I was thinking when our grandparents used to tell us stories around the
          fireplace in long winter nights.All the kids around listening.
          Saludos para ti Juani

          http://messenger.latam.msn.com/