Re: [efiwebheads] Happy New Year

  • Roberto Antonio MG
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2003
      �Happy New Year Webheads!!!

      It's still 10.08 am here in Mexico, I cannot wait for the New Year. May it bring you all the best. Enjoy your New
      Year parties wherever it is you live.

      Antonio
      Mexico City.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        I've just got back from a New Year's day of surfing in the shadow of
        the Burg al Arab, the famous over-luxurious hotel in Dubai. The surf
        wasn't too bad, http://www.surfersofdubai.com I'll post a picture
        shortly, and I have a few balcony shots for Michael as soon as I can
        move all the pixels into cyberspace.

        By now most of you must have recovered from whatever you did New
        Year's Eve or New Years day. It would be interesting to learn what
        activities Webheads have been up to in so many parts of the world. I
        know that Yaodong for example was hosting a party at an Alado
        chatroom on New Year's Eve (couldn't get there from my office though,
        not supposed to drink at work anyway ;-)

        Michael asked earlier about Christmas letters. It was interesting to
        learn that the tradition was foreign to Michael. In my many years of
        working with English-speakers from all over the world I find many
        differences in our celebrations. Back in the 70s the notion of
        Halloween was foreign to many of my British neighbors in Saudi Arabia
        so my wife and I and one or two friends dressed up in costume and
        took our beer mugs door to door, saying trick or treat, and forcing
        them to give us a wee drop of whatever it was they'd been brewing
        before we would move off their doorstep (that's not exactly the way
        kids do it in the USA but as my neighbors weren't familiar with the
        tradition, we were able to adapt it slightly). By costume I don't
        mean what we Americans call bathing suits. Since then I've learned
        that Brits call what we were wearing 'fancy dress'.

        Two other traditions that Brits have at Christmas, which Americans
        don't, are Christmas "Crackers" and what the Brits call 'mime'
        shows. To an American, a mime show suggests an actor in white-face
        who doesn't speak during the performance. Christmas mimes have
        actors and audience talking back and forth to one another (example
        dialog: he did! No he didn't! Yes he did). I also heard on BBC the
        other day a segment about people in the UK starting to decorate their
        houses with lights and lawn objects the way Americans do. It is
        always a pleasure when in America to drive around neighborhoods on
        cold December nights in a warm car with family admiring the effort
        people have put into decorating their houses and brightening their
        neighborhoods.

        Americans and British share the tradition of exchanging cards at
        Christmas, but I think that Brits value more highly than we ever-
        practical Yanks the old-world personal touch of a hand-written
        letter. Americans these days are just as happy to send eGreetings.
        When desk-top publishing became popular, many families started
        creating what we sometimes call 'brag & gag' newsletters giving the
        family history for the past year. As Christmas is the time that many
        of us put into action our urge to communicate with friends at least
        once a year, these long letters might be found tucked into
        traditional cards or might be simply sent by email. I post mine on
        my website http://www.vancestevens.com/xmas2003.htm. From observing
        my British colleagues I find that I am likely to receive cards from
        them at the office and I appreciate the personal touch, the actual
        signature on the tangible card. But I also receive a lot of these
        long email letters from friends from all over at Christmas time. I
        was telling Michael that a lot of these friends happen to be
        Scandinavian.

        I hope in this new year we can revive some of the list traffic we
        have all enjoyed, with so many Webheads from around the world sharing
        experiences and customs with each other.

        Happy New Year everyone,

        Vance

        --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan <michaelc@c...>
        wrote:
        > 2.00 am in Australia, January 1st, 2004. Have just got home from a
        > wonderful New Year's party with old friends. And along with Aiden,
        I raise
        > a glass of champagne to us all!
        >
        > Let's have another great year!
        >
        > - Michael C.
      • Felix Zaniboni
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
          As I like on the coast, it's a habit here to celebrate on the beach. Not to break our tradition, I always sent New Year`s at the beach also. This year I went to Itaparica Island which is an island close to Salvador (capital of Bahia). On the 2th I went to know Morro de Sao Paulo island (www.morrodesaopaulo.com.br). It was awesome. When I get there it was like I was fancing one of those Thailand`s pictures we can see on the internet. As soon as I have a picture scanned I will send to webheads.

          Felix