re: questions

  • MADenglish@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2003
      Hi

      1- The majority/minority (is or are)? my teacher said that we can use both, but I'm not satisfied with this answer :D
      Your teacher is right! In British English collective nouns, (i.e. nouns referring to particular groups of people or things), (e.g. staff , government, class, team) can be followed by a singular or plural verb depending on whether the group is thought of as one idea, or as many individuals , e.g.:
      My team is winning.

      The other team are all sitting down.

      In American English collective nouns are always followed by a singular verb, so an American would usually say:

      Which team is losing?

      whereas in British English both plural and singular forms of the verb are possible, as in:

      Which team is/are losing?

      2- a- the percentage (is, are) ? IS

      b- 90% (is or are) ? IS

      c- 1% (is or are) ? IS

      3- Any of (something) (is or are) ? ARE ANY OF YOU GOING TO TOWN?

      4- the word "none": I thought it had the same rule of "no one", but in my grammar book, "no one" takes singular verb, and "none" follows another rule..but still I'm not sure..NONE OF MY WORK IS DONE YET:

      if "none" is followed by "of", then the verb after it is singular if the word after of is countable singular or uncountable, and the verb is plural if the word is plural.. I want to make sure that this rule is correct.. NONE OF YOU ARE GOING ANYWHERE:

      and what if "none" is not followed by "of" ?? then the verb is singular or plural? I CAN'T THINK OF AN EXAMPLE OF NONE WITHOUT OF: THEN YOU USE NO ONE.

      Maggi :-)