[efiwebheads] accuracy vs. fluency

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 10:24 PM
      >Thebest thing is to speak more English, listen to
      >more English and write more English. I would like to suggest that if one find
      if one finds ...

      >an grammatical error in other's messages,
      any grammatical error in another's ...

      why don't we correct each other in
      >returning messages. Let's talk more!

      Or, if we see errors in each other's writing, why don't we correct each other?

      OK. I can correct grammatical errors. But as a teacher with long
      experience, I don't think grammatical errors are the main thing in language
      learning. Good grammar is what we teachers call "accuracy." But equally
      important is "fluency." The main purpose of using language is
      communication. If you communicate well, you have succeeded. The best way
      to improve fluency is to practice often. This class is an opportunity to
      practice as much as you like and improve fluency. If I see a grammatical
      error, I might ignore it, or I might see many errors and correct one. If
      you become too concerned with grammar, you might be afraid to make mistakes,
      and this will restrict your fluency. You don't want that to happen. So if
      you have to choose accuracy or fluency, then go for the fluency. Practice,
      don't be afraid of mistakes, and concentrate on getting your message across.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
    • smith@dstech.com.br
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9 8:19 AM
        I agree with you Vance, but I think if you or any or any other teacher corrected
        our grammar mistakes it will only make our English better.

        Félix

        Vance Stevens wrote:

        > >Thebest thing is to speak more English, listen to
        > >more English and write more English. I would like to suggest that if one find
        > if one finds ...
        >
        > >an grammatical error in other's messages,
        > any grammatical error in another's ...
        >
        > why don't we correct each other in
        > >returning messages. Let's talk more!
        > >

        > Or, if we see errors in each other's writing, why don't we correct each other?
        >
        > OK. I can correct grammatical errors. But as a teacher with long
        > experience, I don't think grammatical errors are the main thing in language
        > learning. Good grammar is what we teachers call "accuracy." But equally
        > important is "fluency." The main purpose of using language is
        > communication. If you communicate well, you have succeeded. The best way
        > to improve fluency is to practice often. This class is an opportunity to
        > practice as much as you like and improve fluency. If I see a grammatical
        > error, I might ignore it, or I might see many errors and correct one. If
        > you become too concerned with grammar, you might be afraid to make mistakes,
        > and this will restrict your fluency. You don't want that to happen. So if
        > you have to choose accuracy or fluency, then go for the fluency. Practice,
        > don't be afraid of mistakes, and concentrate on getting your message across.
        >
        > Vance

        > Tired of waiting for your stock quotes and charts to load?
        > StockMaster is super-fast for quotes, charts, news, and portfolios.
        > Markets don't wait, why should you? http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/69
        >
        > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
      • Deden Sulaiman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11 9:07 AM
          Hallo....English Student

          My names Deden...
          I agree with Mr. Vance Stevens...
          Sometimes i felt stupid if someone send me a letter and in that letter so
          many correction
          and i think that i'am a stupid person and that made me dont want to learn
          english lesson..
          so i think is the best to make a person who study english, give they
          spirit.
          ok bye-bye

          ----------
          From: smith@...
          To: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
          Cc: efiwebheads@egroups.com
          Subject: [efiwebheads] Re: accuracy vs. fluency
          Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 10:19 PM

          Vance Stevens wrote:

          > >Thebest thing is to speak more English, listen to
          > >more English and write more English. I would like to suggest that if one
          find
          > if one finds ...
          >
          > >an grammatical error in other's messages,
          > any grammatical error in another's ...
          >
          > why don't we correct each other in
          > >returning messages. Let's talk more!
          > >

          > Or, if we see errors in each other's writing, why don't we correct each
          other?

          > OK. I can correct grammatical errors. But as a teacher with long
          > experience, I don't think grammatical errors are the main thing in
          language
          > learning. Good grammar is what we teachers call "accuracy." But equally
          > important is "fluency." The main purpose of using language is
          > communication. If you communicate well, you have succeeded. The best
          way
          > to improve fluency is to practice often. This class is an opportunity to
          > practice as much as you like and improve fluency. If I see a grammatical
          > error, I might ignore it, or I might see many errors and correct one. If
          > you become too concerned with grammar, you might be afraid to make
          mistakes,
          > and this will restrict your fluency. You don't want that to happen. So
          if
          > you have to choose accuracy or fluency, then go for the fluency.
          Practice,
          > don't be afraid of mistakes, and concentrate on getting your message
          across.

          > Vance

          > Tired of waiting for your stock quotes and charts to load?
          > StockMaster is super-fast for quotes, charts, news, and portfolios.
          > Markets don't wait, why should you?
          http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/69

          > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads

          Track your stocks and funds in a StockMaster portfolio. With easy
          setup, you get quotes, charts, and news for them all on just one page.
          No limits, fast loading, and FREE! http://clickhere/egroups.com/click/67

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13 9:09 PM
            Hi Gloria and everyone in the eclass,

            I hadn't looked in my hotmail for a few days, but I found Gloria's picture
            there and put it on her webheads web page. I've made a few other changes to
            the Webheads website.

            If you've just joined us, you might want to read the revised Welcome
            Message. It explains what we are doing in this class, and it's at
            http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/4631/efi/webwelcm.htm

            Gloria seems to have both accuracy and fluency. The only mistake I can spot
            below may be a "typo", or a "typographical error", in other words a mistake
            in typing. Can you find it? It's what she calls technicians in the US to
            make, but the word she has written means something else in English. Can you
            find the word and find the meaning of the word she has written instead?

            Gloria and Maggi have both jazzed up their Webheads web pages recently with
            pictures. If you have a picture you want to put on your webheads page, send
            it to me at vance_stevens@....

            All the best,

            Vance