Re: [efiwebheads] I need your expertise

  • MADenglish@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27 4:17 PM
      Hi Zaheer

      I put ( ) around the words you can leave out and corrected spelling and
      I am not sure but I think those little words like the, a, an, in, etc.
      do not really count. Names count as one word. I don't think it can be
      shortened any further without leaving out a complete sentence and all
      of them seem to be important. What happens if you are a few words
      over?

      Maggi :-)

      Message 2 of 13 , May 28 3:59 AM
        Alkaloids isolated from Sarcococca saligna significantly inhibit acetyl-
        and butyrylcholinesterase enzymes, suggesting discovery of inhibitors
        for nervous-system disorders, particularly Alzheimer's. Studying
        interactions with the active site of AChE enzyme from Torpedo
        californica, we identify one predominant binding mode, suggesting
        hydrophobic and Ven der Waal interactions inside the aromatic gorge are
        major stabilizing factors in enzyme-inhibitor complexes of these
        alkaloids. Molecular Dynamics simulation of a predicted complex
        indicates ligand binding does not extensively alter enzyme structure.

        75 words,

        Vance

        > Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:49:31 +0200
        > From: Zaheer ul-haq <Zaheer.ul-haq@...>
        > Subject: I need your expertise
        >
        > Hi to all
        >
        > We all find this side as a collection of very kind teacher and very friendly
        > colleagues, right now I need one support. In fact one of my research article
        > is accepted by a leading journal in medicine, but on the other hand I have to
        > short my abstract up to 75 word from 250 word. I tried my best and can reduce
        > it up to 112. Now I need expertise and hope I will get it soon. Below you can
        > find my abstract.
        >

        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > with very best regards
        >
        > zaheer
        >

        > Abstrct "Alkaloids isolated from Sarcococca saligna show significant
        > inhibitory activity against acetyl- and butyrylcholinesterase enzyme. These
        > new cholinesterase inhibitors may act as potential leads in the discovery of
        > inhibitors for nervous-system disorders, particularly for Alzheimer's disease.
        > In this work we have studied their interactions with the active site of AChE
        > enzyme from Torpedo californica. Docking experiments have identified one
        > general binding mode for nearly all compounds and suggest that hydrophobic and
        > Ven der Waal interactions inside the aromatic gorge could be the major
        > stabilizing factors in the enzyme-inhibitor complexes of these alkaloids. A
        > Molecular Dynamics simulation of a predicted complex indicates that ligand
        > binding does not extensively alter the structure of the enzyme."
      • R and R Teirney
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2003
          My question is mainly to James but if anyone else can answer please do:

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2003
            Hi Roslyn, hi all

            WorldCALL seems to be an event which will be happening every two
            years. Talk in Canada was that Brazil might be a good place for the
            next one. There was also a meeting aimed at continuing to develop
            WorldCALL as an umbrella organisation for more local groups such as
            CALICO, EuroCALL, and so on.

            From the World CALL website:
            (http://worldcall.org/)

            "WorldCALL is an umbrella association of national and international
            CALL associations. It was formed in order to improve the exchange of
            CALL expertise between all peoples of the world. "

            All the best
            James

            -------------------
            My question is mainly to James but if anyone else can answer please
            do:

            James - would you please explain what WorldCALL stands for and will
            there be
            a similar conference in 2004? If so, where?

            I am trying to plan a sabbatical study program with a North American
            focus.

            I hope you can help.

            Roslyn Teirney
            Ogilvie High School
            Tasmania, Australia

            ---------------------~-->
            Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important
            Questions.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/GP4qlB/TM

            _____________
            James Simpson
            School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
            University of Reading
            Whiteknights
            Reading
            RG6 6AA
            UK
            j.e.b.simpson@...
            http://www.rdg.ac.uk/slals/phd/students/simpson/
          • R and R Teirney
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 11, 2003
              Dear James,

              Thanks for the info but please one more little thing (excuse my ignorance) -
              what does CALL actually stand for - Computers and Language and Literacy???
              CALico? not a clue...

              I will check the website but I'd be grateful for clarification if you feel
              so inclined.

              Thanks so much for the educational experience.

              Roslyn Teirney in Tasmania

              > WorldCALL seems to be an event which will be happening every two
              > years. Talk in Canada was that Brazil might be a good place for the
              > next one. There was also a meeting aimed at continuing to develop
              > WorldCALL as an umbrella organisation for more local groups such as
              > CALICO, EuroCALL, and so on.
              >
              > >From the World CALL website:
              > (http://worldcall.org/)
              >
              > "WorldCALL is an umbrella association of national and international
              > CALL associations. It was formed in order to improve the exchange of
              > CALL expertise between all peoples of the world. "
              >

              > All the best
              > James
            • James Simpson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 11, 2003
                Hi Ros and all Webheads

                CALL: computer-assisted langauge learning. I've also seen recently
                WELL: Web-enhanced language learning.

                I like 'Computers and Language and Literacy very much better than the
                original.

                Vance has written of 'The end of CALL' thus: [I hope you don't mind me
                quoting you, Vance :-)]

                "What we call CALL is merely a label for the emergence of a tool. When
                the tool was a novelty and little understood, then it was of interest
                to refer to CALL. But we are approaching the day when CALL will be
                seen as a meaningless term. Computers are useful in helping us to
                accomplish what we have always wanted to do, and they are most useful
                when they are part of the woodwork."

                I think the reference for this quote is

                Stevens, V. 2001. ‘Implementing Expectations: The Firewall in the
                Mind.’ Plenary address delivered at Implementing Call in EFL: Living
                up to Expectations Conference, University of Cyprus, Nicosia, May 5th
                - 6th, 2001.
                http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens//papers/cyprus2001/plenary/inde
                x.html
                -------------------

                ---------------------~-->

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 11, 2003
                  Dear James, Vance and webheads,

                  Thanks for the explanations recently. Sorry to take the e-mail list off its
                  core business briefly.

                  You've given me plenty to read up on there, once I get following a few
                  links.

                  I am one of those teachers who just gets in and gives things a go. It's
                  worthwhile taking a breather occasionally to see how one's practice fits
                  into the latest theories, though, so thanks for inspiring me to do so, both
                  of you.

                  Cheerio from Tassie to you all,

                  Roslyn Teirney
                  Ogilvie High School

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 16, 2003
                    Thanks for quoting me, James. Appreciated.

                    And to Roslyn and all, discussion is the core business of Webheads.
                    Nice to hear from everyone,

                    Vance

                    --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, "R and R Teirney" <rteirney@t...>