Re: [efiwebheads] SARS

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2003
      Hi Webheads,

      Thanks Ibrahim for starting us on this discussion of the second most followed news story in the world these days. While traveling recently, I was concerned with getting this disease. I started to get sick in Texas and had a cough by the time I reached Switzerland. I didn't have much energy for skiing when I got there (I went skiing anyway :-) but I decided I'd better get home earlier than planned.

      No one seemed too concerned about my cough and I was allowed to travel. I managed to suppress it at customs in Dubai, but by the time I reached home I had a fever ranging from 38-39, which I'm hoping to recover from soon.

      Of course I was concerned that this might be SARS, so I read up on it on the plane. The disease is caused by a virus, and as you probably know, viral infections are almost impossible to identify and treat ... I mean, if you get a cold, there is not much you can do other than rest it and take drugs to treat the symptoms. Antibiotics are not effective against viruses and might be prescribed only to prevent secondary infections that might take advantage of a weakened immune system. This particular virus had killed 26 out of 2600 patients who had been hospitalized for it (at the time of the article I was reading), or 1 in 100 of the most acute cases, where patients had been diagnosed as having SARS and had sought treatment.

      But there are two other categories of people with SARS. There are carriers of the virus who have no symptoms of the disease but who spread it nevertheless, and there are people with the virus who have milder symptoms and may not seek treatment. In other words, what I have right now (a cold and fever with not much breathing distress) might be caused by the SARS virus or might be caused by some other virus. If the fever goes away soon I'll probably never know, unless someone in my family gets it and must be treated. Apparently this is a highly contageous virus.

      Thanks those of you who have written on this topic. I've put your writings here for now:
      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/ibrahimdemirbas.htm

      and if someone can help with corrections that would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Vance

    • Roseray Lam
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2003
        Hi Vance, I think you'd better go to see a doctor no matter it is simply a cold or whatever. This virus is highly contagious and attacks your lung which causes you hard to breathe. All schools are closed in Hong Kong and an apartment had to be evacuate for disinfection. The families who have their members infected with the virus are put under quarantine. Take care! Rose.

        Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:Hi Webheads,

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT