Re: [efiwebheads] Re: Greetings from Vientiane Laos

  • YD Chen
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31 6:51 PM
      Happy New Year,my Webheads friends!
      Vance, there IS flight to Kuming to Guilin and a train from Vietnam to
      Guilin,too.But I would choose Super Express Highway instead of train,in
      order to save time and to see more places on the way.It is painfully
      slow to take train rides,i guess.
      Enjoy your trip in Indo-China.Say Hi to your family!
      yaodong
      --- "Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>"

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Vance Stevens <vstevens@emirates.net.ae>
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, YD Chen <jjcyd@y...> wrote:
        > Happy New Year,my Webheads friends!
        > Vance, there IS flight to Kuming to Guilin and a train from Vietnam
        > Guilin,too.But I would choose Super Express Highway instead of
        train,in
        > order to save time and to see more places on the way.

        Thanks for the advice. Is Super Express Highway a bus company? I'll
        have to check my dollars before jumping on too many planes, but it's
        nice to know where they fly. Are there flights from Guilin to Phnom
        Penh or Hanoi or Bangkok?

        Right now I'm in Vang Vien which is 150 km north of Vientiane (not
        70, my mistake). I'm going to Luang Prabang tomorrow and I'm not
        sure where to from there. Bobbi and Dusty and I spent New Years eve
        together in Vang Vieng, but they return to Vientiane and home in the
        morning.

        Happiest of new years to all Webheads,

        Vance
      • YD Chen
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2003
          http://www.gznet.edu.cn/WWW/scn/guangxi/e_guilin.html
          Guilin is one of the most celebrated scenic cities in China. The old
          saying goes that "Guilin has the most beautiful scenery in China, but
          Yangsuo's is the unmatched in Guilin." Guilin is a cultural city with a
          history of more than two thousand years. Guilin Prefecture was set up
          in 214 B.C., and in 111 B.C., the city was built. With a warm climate
          and a yearly plentiful precipitation, the land of Guilin is featured by
          an active karst topography in giving rise to myriads of weird mountain
          heights, pinnacles, peaks, caverns and subterranean rivers. On the
          banks of the section of the Lijiang River from Guilin to Yangsuo, which
          extends about 65 kilometres, are numerous scenic wonders. Xu Xiake, a
          traveller of the Ming, once praised Yangsuo a world of green lotuses
          and jade bamboo shoots. Yangsuo is famed for its green mountains,
          beautiful waters, weird-shaped hills and mysterious caverns. Major
          scenic sites include the Solitary Beauty Peak, Elephant Trunk Peak,
          Folded Brocade Hill, Underground Water Hill, Crescent Moon Hill, South
          Steam Hill, Seven-Star Cave, Reed flute Cave, in addition to unique
          scenery on the banks of the Lijiang River, such as the guanyan Scenic
          wonder, Nine-Horse Mural Hill and beautiful Yangsuo. About 60
          kilometres northeast of Guilin is the Lingqu, a man-make canal dug in
          214 B.C. Well equipped and constructed are all Guilin's hotels put at
          the service of foreign tourists and overseas Chinese. Major hotels
          include the Lijiang Hotel, Ronghu Hotel, Rongcheng Hotel, Yinshan
          Hotel, Jiashan Hotel, Dangui Hotel, Yangsuo Hotel and guanguang Hotel
          all famed for super environment. Guilin is easily accessible by direct
          flights from Beijing, Guangzhou, Guiyang, Chongqing, Chengdu and
          Shanghai.

          --- "Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>"
          <vstevens@...> wrote:
          > --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, YD Chen <jjcyd@y...> wrote:
          > > Happy New Year,my Webheads friends!
          > > Vance, there IS flight to Kuming to Guilin and a train from Vietnam

          > > Guilin,too.But I would choose Super Express Highway instead of
          > train,in
          > > order to save time and to see more places on the way.
          >
          > Thanks for the advice. Is Super Express Highway a bus company? I'll
          > have to check my dollars before jumping on too many planes, but it's
          > nice to know where they fly. Are there flights from Guilin to Phnom
          > Penh or Hanoi or Bangkok?
          >
          > Right now I'm in Vang Vien which is 150 km north of Vientiane (not
          > 70, my mistake). I'm going to Luang Prabang tomorrow and I'm not
          > sure where to from there. Bobbi and Dusty and I spent New Years eve
          > together in Vang Vieng, but they return to Vientiane and home in the
          > morning.
          >
          > Happiest of new years to all Webheads,
          >
          > Vance

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • YD Chen
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2003
            Vance,
            Yes, super express highway is run by bus company.It is considered
            efficient though a little big expensive than train rides.
            Below is what I found from this link:
            http://www.guilin.com.cn/newenglish/e4/e4_3.htm
            Guilin Liangjiang International Airport
            Guilin Liangjiang International Airport was completed and opened to
            traffic on 1st Oct. 1996, and is a modern International Air port newly
            established in the southwest of China. It is located near Liangjiang
            town, which is 28 kilometers away from the city Guilin. It is capable
            of handling the Boeing 747-200, and was designed to cater for 5,000,000
            passengers annually. At present besides domestic air routes and two
            regional routes to Hongkong and Macao, there are new international air
            routes from Guilin to the cities in Japan, Korea, Singapore, Thailand,
            Malaysia and etc. Access to the airport, there is a 25.6 kilometers
            highway.
            The Airport Information Office: Tel:086-773- 2845359
            Delivery Service Office: Tel: 3843936 3843918-7107 Fax: 3844274
            Booking Office : Tel: 2834061
            Guilin Railway Station
            The Guilin Railway Station, a hub of communications and central of
            south China, is located in the south of the city. It has two branches,
            the North Railway Station and the South Railway Station with 66
            arrivals and departures daily.
            Railway Station Information Office: 3833124
            --------------------------------------
            Highways
            Air-conditioned coaches and sleepers are running between Guilin and
            other major cities in Guangxi. The distance between them is effectively
            shortened as a result of the Guilin-Liuzhou-Nanning-Beihai Expressway.
            Air-conditioned coaches and buses are available in the city to all the
            countries of Guilin.
            -------------------------------
            Local Traffic
            The local traffic gives first place to buses and taxicabs and takes
            pedi-cabs and bicycles as a supplement.
            Bus transportation in Guilin is highly developed and convenient. Buses
            are available for passengers to the neighboring cities and county towns
            around and there are direct and long distant coaches between Guilin and
            the cities of Guangzhou, Changsha, etc. The high way between Guilin and
            Liuzhou has been put into operation.
            Telecommunication
            Long distance calls and international calls are easily available in the
            city. Most of the hotels have IDD and DDD telephones and post and
            express mail service. International Internet communication service is
            also offered here. Guilin can provide the necessary facilities and
            service for conventions of any size.

            --- "Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>"

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2003
              Thanks very much for all the information.
              I'm in Luang Prabang in Laos. I'll probably spend two nights here and
              then head for the ethnic areas in the north of the country. These will be
              in the areas just south of Xishuangbanna in China which has been an
              empitus for me to make this journey. I'll check in Jinghong in Yunnan
              about travel possibilities. I'll keep in touch (and keep moving).

            • Shunichiro Ito
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2003
                Vance says,

                >then head for the ethnic areas in the north of the country.
                >These will be in the areas just south of Xishuangbanna in China which
                >has been an empitus for me to make this journey.

                Hi, Vance,

                Too bad you may not get physically closer to Japan. But do you realize
                Xishuangbanna area is thought to be an important origin of our culture.
                Anthropologists have found many cultural ties as well as ancestor
                Japonica rice in this upstream Yantse river area.

                shun ito
              • YD Chen
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Vance,
                  you are welcome.hope to see the digital photos you have taken on your
                  way on your websites asap.
                  Enjoy yr trip!
                  yd
                  --- "Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>"

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 3, 2003
                    Thanks Shun,

                    I'm hoping to be in Xishuangbanna tomorrow or the next day. I'll
                    keep this japanese connection in mind.

                    Nice to hear from you,

                    Vance

                    --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, Shunichiro Ito <shunito@n...>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 17, 2003
                      Hi Aiden and all your students ...

                      I've just returned to Abu Dhabi and I'm spending a rest day before
                      going to work getting down all the webheads email. What a lot of
                      resolutions you guys have written!! Wow, amazing. Anyway, so I
                      understand that you and Maggi and Daf are making up a web page for
                      them? That's wonderful. How is that coming? Please let me know and
                      I'll link to it from our annual seasons greetings page.

                      Incidentally, BJ has written to ask for a commitment on our new
                      Webheads Tapped In slot each Saturday. I seem to recall that Maggi
                      had volunteered? If so, please confirm.

                      Thanks, and nice to be back ...

                      Vance

                      --- In efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com, Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@y...> wrote:

                      > Vance,
                      > My students were frantic when they couldn't get their subscriptions
                      on time! Anyway, some of them did a good job by writing their
                      resolutions in paragraph form, and I got Magggi and Daf to help me
                      with the editing. I've got the students' photos and introductions and
                      I would be creating their webpages as soon as the finals are over
                      (that would be around the 2nd week of Jan.)

                    • MADenglish@t-online.de
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 17, 2003
                        Yes, she asked last week for the month of Feb and I said I am there
                        anyway.

                        Maggi