[efiwebheads] No Subject

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 6 6:15 AM
      Hi Webheads,

      (A) There is a theory of linguistics that suggests that there might be one
      universal language which we all speak in different tongues. In other words,
      we share common human values, thoughts and feelings but express these in
      different ways.

      (B) There is another theory in linguistics that suggests that language
      determines the way we feel and think. According to this theory, we don't
      feel and think the same if our languages are widely different. In other
      words, how you feel and think will be very different if your language was
      formed by ancestors who live in a forest and hunt animals and believe in
      spirits and whose history is stored only in people's memory. If you speak
      this language and meet someone who comes from a culture with supermarkets
      and libraries, you may not share the same values, thoughts, and feelings.

      Which do you think is closer to what you think, A or B?

      From Felix, to the list ..
      Learning different languages is really a challenge. But it's funny and
      interesting too. I think it's very beautiful and charming to speak for than 2
      languages. And I am trying to take this lesson. I am trying to learn Spanish
      (real classes and online ones) and German (www.learnplus.com). About the
      LearnPlus course I would like that you all take a look if you are interested in
      learning another language. It's a good site to spend time exploring it. For now
      it offers German, Spanish, Italian, French and English.

      Felix
      from Brazil.

      From Martha, writing to me, not to the list ...
      Dear Vance,
      thank you for writing.....although I did not provide an adequate response to
      Yin I was left wondering about how our world has so many languages yet it is
      human nature to be able to communicate in one language.....we all feel the
      same. I think back to bibilical terms when the Tower was built and all the
      individuals that were cast out created new languages. Although, this might
      only be a story of how to explain different languages I still find it very
      interesting and amusing. I an avid promoter of bilingual education as I am
      an elementary school teacher in a diverse community.....I so I will continue
      with an appropriate response and touch basis with my classmate
      Yin..........Martha

      From Gloria, to the list ...
      This is what I think about differents languages:

      I don´t think that is a God´s punishment, but a way for us to see the
      complexity of human being.
      In essence we are all the same but each human being has an universe
      inside him/her.
      The people look for some ways to express themselves then in a group they
      adopt some names for things and because we can´t meet with all people
      around the world and one group can´t reach out other groups tha´s why we
      express each other in different languages.

      Being capable of speaking various languages is a good thing because you
      can find some other rich ways to express your feelings.

      Hi all,

      This is Choi Hae-Young from Republic of Korea which is South.
      You just can call me CHOI. I totally agree with Ying-Lan. It also seems to me
      that learning other tongues is a kind of punishments. Particularly, Korean
      language is spoken only in South and North Korea. No other countries. The
      best things which ease our punishment is to speak more English, listen to
      more English and write more English. I would like to suggest that if one find
      an grammatical error in other's messages, why don't we correct each other in
      returning messages. Let's talk more!

      CHOI. Apr06 01:46 GMT

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
    • Mmmmrtha@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 6 11:54 PM
        I tend to agree that although we (universally) do not share a common language
        that we do share a need to believe in a being greater than ourselves. Since,
        we all tend to foster this belief it is apparent that the commonalities we
        share are greater than the differences we hold linguistically or culturally.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
      • Ying- Lan
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 7 6:46 AM

          This is Ying Lan
          Do you remember the questions asked by vance.
          I only want to say
          The both are right and also are  wrong.
          Which part is right? Which part is worng. It depends on what it is.
          People need love and be loved. We also need food and sleeping. When we feel comfortable , we are happy.
           Smile, cry,,, we have the same emotion.
          That's human nature.
          So, we share common human values, thought and feelings but express these in different way.
          On other side, we eat different food and we believe in the different God.
          We judge people by different standard.
          We live in different way because we have different culture and history.
          That causes some misunderstanding .. that's why war happened.

> [...]

          This is what I think about differents languages: I don´t think that is a God´s punishment, but a way for us to see the complexity of human being. In essence we are all the same but each human being has an universe inside him/her. The people look for some ways to express themselves then in a group they adopt some names for things and because we can´t meet with all people around the world and one group can´t reach out other groups tha´s why we express each other in different languages. Being capable of speaking various languages is a good thing because you can find some other rich ways to express your feelings. =================================================================== Hi all, This is Choi Hae-Young from Republic of Korea which is South. You just can call me CHOI. I totally agree with Ying-Lan. It also seems to me that learning other tongues is a kind of punishments. Particularly, Korean language is spoken only in South and North Korea. No other countries. The best things which ease our punishment is to speak more English, listen to more English and write more English. I would like to suggest that if one find an grammatical error in other's messages, why don't we correct each other in returning messages. Let's talk more! CHOI. Apr06 01:46 GMT

          Groups.com" eGroups eLerts!
          Exclusive discounts on the hottest electronics & Gadgets
          Click Here to Join Now!

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
        • Deden Sulaiman
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 11 9:01 AM
            Hi Vance

            My names deden sulaiman,
            I think i choose A because I have seen American Movie and sometimes i knew
            what they talking about or same story ( i mean movie) some same as
            Indonesian Movie it just diffrent in language but dont
            diffrent in mean, so that i choose A
            thanx...you

            ----------
            From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
            To: efiwebheads@egroups.com
            Date: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 8:15 PM

            Hi Webheads,

[...]

            From Felix, to the list ..
            Learning different languages is really a challenge. But it's funny and
            interesting too. I think it's very beautiful and charming to speak for than
            2
            languages. And I am trying to take this lesson. I am trying to learn
            Spanish
            (real classes and online ones) and German (www.learnplus.com). About the
            LearnPlus course I would like that you all take a look if you are
            interested in
            learning another language. It's a good site to spend time exploring it. For
            now
            it offers German, Spanish, Italian, French and English.

            Felix
            from Brazil.

            From Martha, writing to me, not to the list ...
            Dear Vance,
            thank you for writing.....although I did not provide an adequate response
            Yin I was left wondering about how our world has so many languages yet it
            is
            human nature to be able to communicate in one language.....we all feel the
            same. I think back to bibilical terms when the Tower was built and all the

            individuals that were cast out created new languages. Although, this might

            only be a story of how to explain different languages I still find it very
            interesting and amusing. I an avid promoter of bilingual education as I am

            an elementary school teacher in a diverse community.....I so I will
            continue
            with an appropriate response and touch basis with my classmate
            Yin..........Martha

            From Gloria, to the list ...
[...]

            eGroups eLerts!
            Exclusive discounts from the hottest online bookstores
            Join Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/20

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads

            ----------

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
          • Denilson de Borba
            Message 5 of 25 , May 5, 1999
              Hello All !!!

              Tanks for a lot of e-mail than a receive for all webheads friends, I saw a lot
              of options than will help-me to closed the possibilities.

              Now I need the techinics to stay cool during, because the problem isn't to
              talk or write, but the sittuation.

              It's like when you will speack with someone else, if you know than another
              person know more than you, you stay nervous.

              Or when I'm in english class in the begin we have shame to speak, because the
              teacher and another students, so exist a lot of variables to consider during
              this situation.

              Ah! About interview Deden show-me the folowing address:
              http://www.kaplan.com - there have a simulation like a game for a interview to
              get a place in school, isn't my situation but help to know what to say and
              why. If you will access that address, please play the game with the option
              tutorial is the best.

              Thanks for Michael for the answer about live in Australia.

              Bye

              Denilson

              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/efiwebheads
              Message 6 of 25 , May 7, 1999
                Denilson,

                Good luck with your interview
                Vance

                Message 7 of 25 , May 7, 1999
                  >Ah! About interview Deden show-me the folowing address:
                  >http://www.kaplan.com - there have a simulation like a game for a interview to
                  >get a place in school, isn't my situation but help to know what to say and
                  >why. If you will access that address, please play the game with the option
                  >tutorial is the best.

                  Thanks for the tip. I put Denilson's commentary at my professional site,
                  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/4631/simulatn.htm

                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/efiwebheads
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 12, 1999
                    Hi Class,

                    Thanks Ying Lan for having another look at the Open Up file. It doesn't
                    seem to work quite yet. I have discovered that it was working on my machine
                    because the metafile (on the web) was pointing to a location on my machine
                    where the real media file was sitting and it was playing that.

                    Now I'm trying to fix the metafile so that it will point to the location on
                    the server where the file is on the web. I've tried a number of
                    possibilities but haven't got it yet. So give me some time.

                    If I can't do it with Real Producer, I can do it with Real Publisher (which
                    I had to pay for) so I'll manage it one way or the other.

                    I'll let you know when I've had time to sort it out.

                    Take care,

                    eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/efiwebheads
                  • Denilson de Borba
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 3, 1999
                      Hello Friends,

                      Was a long time without send news, but I always read your messages.

                      So the last time than I "talked" with everibody, was before one interview, did
                      you remember ?

                      A lot of EFI friends sent me questions and internet address to prepare myself
                      for a interview.

                      I did the interview, by phone, with 02 people.

                      I was nervous, but trust myself and security because you help me to prepare
                      myself.

                      So, after the interview, I receive Yes from the employer, but I talked with
                      Maggi and I said than I don't want say nothing until have sure about the job,
                      because last year, was to me go to Germany and the last moment the employer
                      cancel the worked offer.

                      So this year I stay in silence until the last moment. After receive the yes of
                      the employer, was another problem, get the visa. Almost I can't get, because
                      the American Embassy and the fact than I get out from my last job [Comandata],
                      so that moment I hadn't links with Brasil, like a college or work.

                      I got the visa and two days after I was flighting to States, I had the
                      organize my stuffs too fast.

                      After arrived here, I need to stay almost 02 week without access internet.

                      And now I'm sending a lot of e-mails from my brazilian friends, told them how
                      can I arrived here, because was not easy.

                      I lived in colorado springs - colorado, and you stay here during six months.

                      I can send e-mail in portuguese telling all the story, but don't have time to
                      translate.

                      See you guis, thanks for all.

                      Denilson

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 24, 1999
                        UNSUBSCRIBE

                        JOSE IGNACIO VALLE
                      • Choi Hae-Young
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 10, 1999
                          누구나 쉽게 참여할 수 있는 야후! 경매, http://kr.auctions.yahoo.com/
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 24, 1999
                            Hi Everyone,

                            I've arrived in Houston now and I'm able to check email again. It's so
                            nice to see so many greetings at webheads.

                            It hasn't been a smooth trip home for Christmas from Abu Dhabi
                            considering I happened to be in Venezuela when the flooding started.
                            Fortunately I got out well before CNN started reporting up to 30,000
                            killed and missing. If you want to read what I've been doing since
                            leaving Abu Dhabi, I just managed to upload the story to:

                            http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/3508/venezuela/venez99a.htm

                            Anyway, despite having to rearrange my plane travel since Caracas
                            airport ceased functioning (along with thousands of others scrambling
                            to get out of Venezuela), I've made it to Houston in time for
                            Christmas. My parents and Bobbi's parents both live here and we'll
                            visit everyone at Christmas.

                            Bobbi and Dusty arrived from Abu Dhabi just before I did, and Glenn
                            flew in from California where he's going to college, so our immediate
                            family is together again this millenium Christmas, which is the best of
                            all possible gifts for us.

                            Wishing you the best of all possible Christmas seasons, and happy new
                            millenium.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 25, 1999
                              Hi guys,

                              Michael writes that Christmas is over in Australia. He's gone to bed.

                              I'm just moving from one grandmother's house to the other. Before
                              leaving, I've got the last Christmas messages we received at webheads
                              and put them at:

                              http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/99greetings.htm

                              It makes a very nice Christmas card.

                              I also corrected those small problems with the Topic 9 page.
                              Everyone's writing is now corrected and posted at:

                              http://members.tripod.com/vstevens/efi/topic09.htm

                              AND, I also corrected the problem with my writing about my time in
                              Venezuela and Aruba. In case you tried to go there and couldn't, you
                              should now be able to successfully visit:

                              http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/3508/venezuela/venez99a.htm

                              I'll put pictures up there once I get them developed.

                              All the best this season,

                              Vance
                            • Felix Zaniboni
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 15, 2000
                                Denilson you are much better than me.. I only know @
                                (at). hehehe

                                Felix
                                http://im.yahoo.com
                              • deden sulaiman
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 25, 2000
                                  Dear All

                                  Today, february 26 2000. I had a examination.
                                  I have two test, one writing( include hearing) dan
                                  speaking. I'am not sure if i will have good point
                                  in writing test because i forgot word ( to write).

                                  In Chinese we have to memorize every word.
                                  In indonesia , where i come from, we use alphabet, and
                                  it make esier for us to remember, but in chinese has
                                  not have.

                                  Thank you for Michael for help and suggestion.
                                  bye-bye

                                  http://im.yahoo.com
                                • MichaelCoghlan
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 26, 2000
                                    At 07:40 PM 25/2/00 -0800, Deden wrote:

                                    >Dear All
                                    >
                                    >Today, february 26 2000. I had a examination.
                                    >I have two test, one writing( include hearing) dan
                                    >speaking. I'am not sure if i will have good point
                                    >in writing test because i forgot word ( to write).

                                    Deden - by now you will have finished your tests. How did you go? Do you
                                    think you went OK?

                                    Michael Coghlan

                                    email: michaelc@... (home)
                                    michaelc@... (work)
                                  • deden sulaiman
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 27, 2000
                                      Hi Micahel Coghlan

                                      I 'm not sure i went okey but i'm sure i will pass the
                                      examination.
                                      Michel, what i meant was I have test the chinese
                                      language.
                                      I took your program. I a little bit understood every
                                      sentence.
                                      But there is some of the sentece i dont understand
                                      until now.

                                      China and Britain signed an agreement about how Hong
                                      Kong should be run for the next fifty years.
                                      is it means that after 50 years, Hongkong will be take
                                      it to UK again?

                                      Have you heard a song, the song title is Mambo No. 5
                                      he sing like this ...a little bit of maria in my heart
                                      , a litte bit monica by my side...
                                      what he meant ?
                                      Thank You.....
                                      ok bye-bye

                                      http://click.egroups.com/1/1887/5/_/63778/_/951567738/

                                      > --

                                      http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=efiwebheads&m=1

                                      http://im.yahoo.com
                                    • Margaret Ann Doty
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 27, 2000
                                        Hi Deden...

                                        Michael can answer your grammar question but I have the Mambo No.5...:-)

                                        I use it to wake my classes up at 7.30 in the morning...and me too.

                                        He has women everywhere Deden...even in his closet it seems...:-)
                                        It means he has them everywhere...women should do the same...there are more of
                                        us than men anyway..LOL

                                        He is a ladies man...have you seen the video?

                                        Maggi
                                      • smith@vrnet.com.br
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 27, 2000
                                          Mad you said you ahve the Mombo nº 5.... What does that mean?? There's a song on
                                          the Hit Parades now called Mambo nº 5 but for me it doesn't make any sense.. could
                                          you explain that to me?

                                          Margaret Ann Doty wrote:

                                          > Hi Deden...
                                          >
                                          > Michael can answer your grammar question but I have the Mambo No.5...:-)
                                          >
                                          > I use it to wake my classes up at 7.30 in the morning...and me too.
                                          >
                                          > He has women everywhere Deden...even in his closet it seems...:-)
                                          > It means he has them everywhere...women should do the same...there are more of
                                          > us than men anyway..LOL
                                          >
                                          > He is a ladies man...have you seen the video?
                                          >
                                          > Maggi

                                          > WANT FREE MAGAZINES?
                                          > Sample over 500 magazines in 30 categories-- all for FREE at
                                          > FreeShop.com, your source for thousands of free and trial offers!

                                          > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/efiwebheads/?m=1
                                        • Margaret Ann Doty
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 27, 2000
                                            smith@... schrieb:
                                            > Mad you said you ahve the Mombo nº 5.... What does that mean?? There's a song
                                            > on
                                            > the Hit Parades now called Mambo nº 5 but for me it doesn't make any sense..
                                            > could
                                            > you explain that to me?

                                            I already explained it to Felix when I saw him on icq, but for anyone else here
                                            goes...

                                            Mambo is a dance...a nice one...where you and me can touch the sky!!!

                                            I have the recording of the song...nothing else. hehehehe...I wish though...:-)

                                            Maggi
                                          • MichaelCoghlan
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
                                              Hi everyone.

                                              After looking at the text at
                                              http://www.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/RWASSIGN1.htm Deden wrote:

                                              >Hi Micahel Coghlan
                                              >
                                              >I took your program. I a little bit understood every
                                              >sentence.
                                              >But there is some of the sentece i dont understand
                                              >until now.
                                              >
                                              >China and Britain signed an agreement about how Hong
                                              >Kong should be run for the next fifty years.
                                              >is it means that after 50 years, Hongkong will be take
                                              >it to UK again?

                                              Deden - this is a really good question. I have read that article many times
                                              and that question never occurred to me. I doubt that Hong Kong will return
                                              to the UK after 50 years, but what is the agreement?

                                              Maybe our Hong Kong/China experts - Moral and Ming - can tell us?

                                              Michael Coghlan

                                              email: michaelc@... (home)
                                              michaelc@... (work)
                                            • Moral
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 3, 2000
                                                From: MichaelCoghlan <michaelc@...>

                                                >Deden - this is a really good question. I have read that article many times
                                                >and that question never occurred to me. I doubt that Hong Kong will return
                                                >to the UK after 50 years, but what is the agreement?

                                                Hello Michael, Deden and everyone,

                                                China and the UK signed the agreement because HongKong would return to
                                                Chinese rule under the principle of 'One country two systems'. So there has
                                                been two systems - Socialism and Capitalism in China since 1997. The Chinese
                                                government agreed that the HongKong residents would keep their system and
                                                life styles unchanged at least for 50 years in the agreement. It meant that
                                                anything would not change in the future 50 years.

                                                I don't think the policy will change even after 50 years. Deden you'll see
                                                it then.

                                                Regards,

                                                Moral
                                              • aline assis
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 27, 2000
                                                  hi everyone!

                                                  Thank you all for writing me! As some people asked me
                                                  some questions,now i'll try to respond everybody at
                                                  once.

                                                  I'm from Belo Horizonte, (Minas Gerais state),but i
                                                  had already lived in many places such as Vitória
                                                  (where i was born) and Recife. I have moved to this
                                                  place 3 years ago.

                                                  Civil Engineering is a graduating course which offer
                                                  to work on 5 areas mainly: structural engineering,
                                                  materials engineering,roads, enviromental sciences,
                                                  and one more that i cant remember now. i intend to
                                                  specialize in structural engineering, cause i like
                                                  calculus. But this is a bit far away (i'm on the
                                                  second year, and there is 3 years ahead to make a real
                                                  decision.)

                                                  Michael had asked about my name, (it was the first
                                                  time he heard this name) as Feliz had already told,it
                                                  is a very common name in Brazil. I researched about
                                                  its origin and i discoverd,for my surprise that it is
                                                  derived from Allen, an ancient Celtic name derived
                                                  from Gaelic. Allyn is a spelling variation of the
                                                  English and Scottish patronymic name Allen which
                                                  means: little rock. At firts, I thought that my name
                                                  was French,so that many friends of mine from France
                                                  and Belgium met me for that. So you see that i was
                                                  wrong!
                                                  I love my name, and I wouldnt like to change it.
                                                  There's a French song (in my homage) named Aline. It's
                                                  a very romantic song that means a lot to me.

                                                  Well,that's all for now ! Thanks for beeing so
                                                  friendly!

                                                  All of my frienship,
                                                  Aline

                                                  http://click.egroups.com/1/2623/6/_/63778/_/954161713/

                                                  > -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                                                  > --
                                                  > http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=efiwebheads&m=1

                                                  http://im.yahoo.com
                                                • MichaelCoghlan
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 28, 2000
                                                    Aline - this is a great introduction! And now you know what your name
                                                    means! How do feel about being a little rock?! I think it's quite a nice
                                                    thing to be! Did you know there's a place in the US called Little Rock? See
                                                    http://www.littlerock.org/default.html

                                                    - Michael C.