Re: [efiwebheads] Happy Hallowebhead

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
      Thanks for writing about this Susanne,

      I do appreciate it when Webhead members pitch in and announce events, welcome new members, and the like. Now if we only had someone who can help create web pages .... ??!!

      At this time of year, people living in neighborhoods all over the USA buy pumpkins, hollow them out, and carve faces in the shell. Then they put candles inside on Halloween night (Oct 31) and set them in windows or around their houses. People passing will see the light shining through the scary face. Children walk around the neighborhood in the evening in costumes. They knock on the neighbors' doors and say "Trick or Treat." The neighbors will give the kids candy (a treat). The implication is that if the neighbor doesn't have candy, the kid will play a trick on them. Almost everybody has candy to give (people prepare in advance to welcome the children, and to admire their fancy costumes). These days neighbors who want visitors will leave lights on around their porches and doors and those who don't want visitors will leave their lights off.

      One of our Webhead members Keiko Schneider posted some pictures of her pumpkin carving here:

      "I did pumpkin carving for the first time this year and put photos on the Internet. If you think you can use in your class, please feel free to do so.

      <http://photos.yahoo.com/tvime>
      Click on For ESL_EFL class
      Click on Pumpkin Carving"

      The 'webmaster's' pumpkin is especially good. I tracked down the direct link here:

      http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tvime/lst?.dir=/For+ESL_EFL+class/Pumpkin+Carving&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

      (probably this link will not display on one line in this message so if you click on it you won't get the complete url. You have to copy and paste the second and third line etc to your browser window to make it work)

      The URL of last year's Hallowebhead party is here:
      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/chat2001/wfw011028.htm

      John won the prize for the best costume. Here it is:

      You see a 7-1/2 foot (2-1/3 meter) tall, brown, cylindrical shaped being with four long arm-like appendages located near, but somewhat below, the top of the cylinder. Each arm is 90 degrees for the arms on each side of it and ends in two hands. Each hand has seven long limble digits. At the top of the cylinder are seven flexible eye-stalks. The eyes move individually to allow the being to look at up to seven different things at the same time

      You can make up any costume you like. I think I'll wear something like this:

      First I'll prepare a costume in advance (just keep a line of text handy) then I can copy it and paste it after a colon when I feel like it at Tapped In.

      For example, if I paste this, starting with the colon ...

      :appears as a skeleton with an axe in his skull. He's poured catsup on his head and it's dribbling through one of his eye sockets.

      Then everyone else will see

      VanceS [webhead] appears as a skeleton with an axe in his skull. He's poured catsup on his head and it's dribbling through one of his eye sockets.

      There are two other ways to do it. One is to change your MOOD, but you can only do this if your costume is two or three words long. For example, you could type (beginning with the slash /) ...

      /mood wearing a sheet

      Then you could say "boo" and everyone would see ...

      VanceS [wearing a sheet] says "boo"

      To create his costume, John made a NOTE and /projected it. If you want to know about that method, we can tell you about it this Sunday. Or maybe someone on this list would like to explain it.

      Hope to see everyone Sunday (in costume). If we're lucky, Susanne will prepare a smoking cauldron of witch's brew for us and we can all have a taste.

      Vance