NW2002 report from Sus

  • s.nyrop@get2net.dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 2:33 AM
      Hi,

      Our participation in Vance's conference in Abu Dhabi next
      Sunday sounds very interesting, with computer lab or with a
      presentation with Vance's laptop as intermediate tool. I
      certainly hope that I will find the right webcam and test it
      properly on beforehand. I am so sorry to stay away for our
      session today, but ny sweet niece Josefine is celebrating her
      sixth birthday and we start at exactly noon GMT (Sunday
      Webhead Time = SWT :-)

      During the Virtual Australian Networking 2002 all online
      conference, I was very active and engaged, as I discovered
      a wealth of inspiring activities emerging among the active
      part of the about 2700 participants (many were readers only,
      and some decided to 'delurk* and write about their
      experienses, ask questions or join the incredible storytelling
      collaboratives - in the asynchronous discussion threads,
      often connected to a workshop, a virtual fieldtrip or a chat
      session.

      Our Cross Cultural Communications seminar where Michael
      Coghlan had expected a chaotic amount of cats to herd for
      the chat, but finally turned out to be a Webheads dominated
      event with some very interested guests. One reason might
      be that other interesting chat sessions were scheduled at the
      same time, but in several of the 14 chat sessions I was part
      of, I saw a low rate of participation, and I often encountered
      an overall skepticism towards the true value of chats

      As the chat facility in the WebCrossing environment is not
      too stable, it happens often that you lose sight of your chat
      window and I lost my connection - then it is good to read the
      recorded chatlog, I think we got into some important aspects
      of the cross cultural aspects of our communication. The
      async CCC discussion with some of the other conference
      participants involved difficult but important questions of
      tolerance.

      What really gave me, personally, a kick forwards, was the
      Weblog workshop. A weblog, also called a B-log, or just blog,
      is a very easy and instant way to document your own
      material on the web, for yourself, for a closed group of
      readers, or in public. Many personal weblogs are mostly
      commented links to special topics or news. In my blog, I was
      able to save the messages I posted in the discussion groups,
      and add links back the the relevant discusssion, very
      comfortable as the overall navigation interface in the
      NW2002 was not too easy - new discussions were emerging,
      some were for one or a few days only, and the first week I
      had not much idea of who was interested in what, or why.

      Now, until the 30th september, the conference area is open
      to participants, only, but after that time, it will be public and
      a great example on the layered complexity of an all online
      conference with so many different actors and interest
      groups,all the eay from local community hubs and one
      person field trips, over outback schools and vocational
      traning centers, to software and content developers, the
      Australian minitry of educatation, and, maybe the most
      dymanic ones: the educators educating the educators!

      Well, I have to wrap up the birthday presents, a toolbox with
      paint, brushes, paper and a flexible model doll in wood,
      classic style, for the little painter, Josefine, six, who just
      started school. So my internet time is out for now. Say
      hello to Bronwyn and other possible visitors from the city of
      Net2; we have been good webhead ambassadors!

      So I'll click on my editor button to the Xanga Blogtool, copy
      and paste this mail, and ask you to go there if you wish to
      know more about the NW2002
      http://www.xanga.com/susnyrop

      WebMail fra Tele2 http://www.tele2.dk