smoking's prohibition

  • ricos ricos
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19 12:27 PM
      Hello everybody. I've just joined the group!
      What do you think about smoking's prohibition?
      Are those laws too excessive?

      MSN Foto è il sistema più facile per condividere e stampare foto online:
      http://photos.msn.it
    • Antonio M. G.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20 7:09 PM
        Hello!
        I think it depends to whom is it prohibited to smoke. I think regulations for people under 18 are OK, their lungs are still too young and they are growing, smoking can inhibit or alter the regular process of lung growth.
        In Mexico it is illegal to sell cigarettes to people under 18, however this is not always taken very seriously. President Vicente Fox proposed a law to prohibit cigarette advertisements, I am not sure but I think this law just applies for TV advertisements. In any case I think that is too much.
        Are there any similar laws in your countries? What is the legal age for buying cigarettes in your countries?
        Well, that's all for now.
        Antonio

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21 5:22 AM
          Hello Antonio,
          in Italy if you read on a cigarettes’ packet it says:-minors must not
          smoke-.
          But they can buy cigarettes and I don’t know whether there’s any law that
          forbids minors to smoke!However I didn’t mean this(minors smoking
          prohibition): I’m talking about smoking in public places like restaurants,
          work’s places, offices,schools,close places and other.
          I agree that smoking is dangerous to our health , that who smoke damage
          people not smoke, but I think that laws are excessive!
          Sorry for my english, I’d be glad if somebody corrected this text.
          Best regards, Riccardo

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 22 1:03 AM
            Riccardo,

            Welcome to our group, and thanks for starting an interesting topic on Webheads. Of course I've corrected your English before putting your writing on this page: http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/smoking.htm

            Incidentally, please send us an introduction to yourself and we'll start a web page for you that people can go to in order to get to know you. If you want to send a picture, we can put that next to what you write, as we've done for Antonio where he replied to you at the URL above.

            Here are my comments:

            What you feel about prohibition on smoking probably depends on whether you smoke or not. I don't smoke, and I hate being around smoke. It makes my clothes and hair smell bad, and I just don't like breathing it. I feel the world is a better place now that I don't have to breathe other people's smoke as much as I did before.

            I have friends who smoke and I appreciate it when they are considerate of my desire not to breathe their smoke. I was recently driving across the UAE with smokers who would not smoke in my car, thinking it would bother me. But they wanted to stop often for 'tea' so I finally got them to smoke in the car with the windows down. It didn't bother me at all, and they were glad I considered their need to smoke.

            As to whether it is fair to regulate it or not, partly because I don't smoke, I think it is. I understand that smokers feel they have a right to smoke where they please, but I don't think smokers are able to understand what an imposition their smoking is on non-smokers. Breathing clean air is also a basic right, and one smoker will foul the air for everyone in a room. If governments can put regulations on factory pollution, why not on pollution from smokers?

            Are there any smokers here who think that smoking should be prohibited in closed places, or non-smokers who think it should be allowed?

            Vance

            ricos ricos wrote:

            > Hello Antonio,
            > in Italy if you read on a cigarettes’ packet it says:-minors must not
            > smoke-.
            > But they can buy cigarettes and I don’t know whether there’s any law that
            > forbids minors to smoke!However I didn’t mean this(minors smoking
            > prohibition): I’m talking about smoking in public places like restaurants,
            > work’s places, offices,schools,close places and other.
            > I agree that smoking is dangerous to our health , that who smoke damage
            > people not smoke, but I think that laws are excessive!
            > Sorry for my english, I’d be glad if somebody corrected this text.
            > Best regards, Riccardo
            >
            > >From: "Antonio M. G." <antonio_m_g@...>
            > >To: efiwebheads@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: Re: [efiwebheads] smoking's prohibition
            > >Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 03:09:20 +0100 (BST)
            > >

            > > Hello!
            > >I think it depends to whom is it prohibited to smoke. I think regulations
            > >for people under 18 are OK, their lungs are still too young and they are
            > >growing, smoking can inhibit or alter the regular process of lung growth.
            > >In Mexico it is illegal to sell cigarettes to people under 18, however this
            > >is not always taken very seriously. President Vicente Fox proposed a law
            > >to prohibit cigarette advertisements, I am not sure but I think this law
            > >just applies for TV advertisements. In any case I think that is too much.
            > >Are there any similar laws in your countries? What is the legal age for
            > >buying cigarettes in your countries?
            > >Well, that's all for now.
            > >Antonio
            > > ricos ricos <ricosricos@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >Hello everybody. I've just joined the group!
            > >What do you think about smoking's prohibition?
            > >Are those laws too excessive?

          • Arif Altun
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22 10:39 AM
              Hi,
              I would like to welcome and say hi to Riccardo. very interesting topic
              indeed! I don't smoke and i do not want to be around when people are
              smoking. however, there are some occasions when you just cannot avoid it or
              ask people not to smoke. Especially, what would you say to your boss, if
              s-he smokes, and if you are %100 sure that your reaction would affect your
              relationship with your boss? Also, if it is not prohibited and if you are
              taking a bus trip?
              more later...
              arif