Which type of movie do you prefer?

  • sueleche
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
      Some movies are serious, designed to make the audience think. Other
      movies are designed primarily to amuse and entertain. Which type of
      movie do you prefer?

      In my case I like comic movies, especially romantic comedies. Today,
      I watched Mr. Deeds. This movie is about a man who enjoys helping
      other peoples. One day, His uncle leaves 40 billion dollars to him.
      One TV programs wanted to report about him. And a beautiful woman
      reporter contacted and deceived him, but finally they love each other
      sincerely. This movie shows many comic scenes as well as impressive
      ones moving my emotion.

      There is also another movie, Wedding singer. It is about one wedding
      singer who likes to make people happy. There are many obstacles, but
      he finds his real love. I don¡¯t think comic movie is simple and not
      impressive. In my personal opinion, these movies make us happy and
      show good ways to live. So I like these movies. I recommend these two
      movies. It is really fun and deep-impressive.

      p.s) There will be wrong expressions in this essay, because i am not
      a native speaker. If you want, could you correct this article? it
      will be helpful to improve my english. Thank you.
    • Antonio M. G.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
        Depending on my mood, I'm rather eclectic when it comes to films, music, books, etc. Focusing on movies, I like the ones that are about historical events, in particular about the former republics of Yugoslavia, eg. 'Welcome to Sarajevo' and 'Before the rain' (there's one film called 'Underground' which people think is wonderful, however, for me it was boring).
        When I don't feel like learning but I'm rather in a relaxing mood I like comedies, I don't really care whether they've got interesting plots or not, I just like them to make me laugh.
        Having two younger brothers means I also go to children's movies (cartoons), and some of them are really good and funny.
        Last but not least, one of my favourite categories: Mexican films, all kinds of them (comedy, thrillers, tragedy, dramma...). Some of the Mexican films I like the most are 'La inocente' (The innocent) and 'El pecado de Adán y Eva' (The sin of Adam and Eve); this last one I love because of the SFX (they make you laugh even when the situation is supposed to be serious).
        But my favourite film is definitely 'Kolya', the story of a mature Czech man and his young Russian stepson. It's a beautiful film I highly recommend.
        sueleche <sueleche@...> wrote: Some movies are serious, designed to make the audience think. Other

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2002

          Thanks SungYou for sending us an introduction, and thanks very much Antonio for sending a welcoming response. As promised, I've created a web page for SungYou here:

          http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/sungyou.htm

          SungYou, if you'd like to send us a picture to go with the page, we'll put it there and on our Gallery of Webheads at http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/webheads.htm, and on the students page of course, http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/students.htm

          I'm also very pleased that SungYou has started us off on a writing topic. I think movies is a good topic, something we can all relate to. I have to admit I'm not much of a movie-goer. Whenever I see a movie, it's usually part of a family activity with my wife and young son. The last time they took me to a movie, it was to see Star Wars Episode 2, which I didn't really like all that much. Before that they took me to see Gladiator. I enjoyed that movie because of its action topic and because it was well acted and the dialog was good. Other than that, I usually enjoy Woodie Allan, and the last of his movies I saw was Ants, a great film I thought, full of clever intellectual humor. But normally I don't see many movies. I'm too busy making web pages.

          Speaking of web pages, there's one on our movie topic here:
          http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/movie_types.htm

          SungYou's essay and Antonio's response are both here, corrected.

          You can get our complete list of writing topics here:
          http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/vcommunity.htm

          And whenever you write on one of our topics, of course I correct the English before posting the writing to the page. Then you can compare what you wrote with what you see on the page. I hope this helps you to improve your writing.

          All the best,

          Vance