Re: [efiwebheads] arrangements for January chats

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2001
      Hi, Shun and all,

      I've told my students to join the online activity on the 2nd, the 3rd, and
      the 4th Tues of Jan. There are 32 male students aged 19 or 20 with
      lower-intermediate language proficiency. I'm not sure how many of them will
      attend the virtual classroom because I don't have English class with them
      and they're free on Tues afternoons.

      Regarding the topics, I thought we had arranged and agreed on the three
      topics: 1st Tues--The weekend (including self-introduction, school life or
      leisure activities, how they spend their weekends?)
      2nd Tues--Personal Experience (The most unforgettable thing or impressive
      experience in thir own life. Where and how did it happen?)
      3rd Tues--Music and movies (I'll post reading materials on Blackboard for
      the groups to discuss or solve problem together).

      I might demand too much, but I think we should focus on students' interest
      or their personal experiences. I welcome all of your opinions or any idea.

      Rachel

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hello, Rachel and Dan,

        Apparently, I misunderstood the meaning of Rachel's silence since my last
        message of Dec. 21. Not having heard, I figured you have some reason for not
        being able to join us.

        I see no problem, however, and I'm sure Dan Blitz would understand about
        modifying our plans. Your students showing up in my office (E1112) at
        Tapped In are welcome to have discussion along the line you suggest for the
        first meeting. We had agreed on the first topic, yes. We'll see how it
        works out the first time on Jan. 8 and see if the two following topics are
        appropriate, i.e. such that our students can handle. What I'm afraid is
        that our girls' English may not be good enough for more complex discussions.
        And I do not expect, as you do, a meaningful discussion out of these
        sessions. They have navigated in Tapped In environment a couple of times
        but never met anyone there because it was in midnight hours in US and
        Europe. This is going to be the first experience for the girls to
        communicate with people in other countries synchronously. In addition, time
        is limited and the group might be too large for a well organized discussion
        to take place. We'll see how it goes on Jan. 8.

        Jan. 8 on "Weekend" - joined by Rachel and Dan
        Jan. 15 on Tentatively "Personal Experience" - Rachel and Dan.
        Jan. 22 on Tentatively "Music and Movies" - Rachel.

        Are your students familiar with Tapped In commands? They can type in /join
        shuni to
        jump to my office. That'll be after they sign in as guests, of course.

        Would you, Rachel and Dan, be with the Webheads session at Tapped In coming
        Sunday, Jan. 6? If you can, we could talk more about our plans there.

        Shun Ito
        Japan

        Rachel wrote,

        > I've told my students to join the online activity on the 2nd, the 3rd, and
        > the 4th Tues of Jan. There are 32 male students aged 19 or 20 with
        > lower-intermediate language proficiency. I'm not sure how many of them
        will
        > attend the virtual classroom because I don't have English class with them
        > and they're free on Tues afternoons.
        >
        > Regarding the topics, I thought we had arranged and agreed on the three
        > topics: 1st Tues--The weekend (including self-introduction, school life or
        > leisure activities, how they spend their weekends?)
        > 2nd Tues--Personal Experience (The most unforgettable thing or impressive
        > experience in thir own life. Where and how did it happen?)
        > 3rd Tues--Music and movies (I'll post reading materials on Blackboard for
        > the groups to discuss or solve problem together).
        >
        > I might demand too much, but I think we should focus on students' interest
        > or their personal experiences. I welcome all of your opinions or any idea.

      • Dan Bilitz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hello, Shunichiro and Rachel,

          It was so good to hear that your classes will be able to meet in Tappedin.
          My schedule is flexible enough that I can make the adjustments you require
          for the first two sessions.

          I will be attending the upcoming Writing for Webheads meeting. Perhaps we
          can confirm plans then.

          Best wishes,

        • Rachel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
            Hi, Shun

            My students have never been to Tappedin. Actually, they haven't had MOO
            experience so far. I asked them to register before the chat session and
            showed them what Tappedin is all about. However, like what I said earlier, I
            am not sure whether they will join the chat or not. I will keep encouraging
            them to take a look there.

            I'm usually busy on Sunday evening here, so I might not have time to drop by
            webhead. But I'll try and see if I can take a leave from my work.

            Rachel

> [...]
            > > attend the virtual classroom because I don't have English class with
            them
            > > and they're free on Tues afternoons.
            > >
            > > Regarding the topics, I thought we had arranged and agreed on the three
            > > topics: 1st Tues--The weekend (including self-introduction, school life
            or
            > > leisure activities, how they spend their weekends?)
            > > 2nd Tues--Personal Experience (The most unforgettable thing or
            impressive
            > > experience in thir own life. Where and how did it happen?)
            > > 3rd Tues--Music and movies (I'll post reading materials on Blackboard
            for
            > > the groups to discuss or solve problem together).
            > >
            > > I might demand too much, but I think we should focus on students'
            interest
            > > or their personal experiences. I welcome all of your opinions or any

          • Shunichiro Ito
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
              Rachel and Dan,

              I read Rachel's mail of Feb. 2 and understand the situation. We'll see how
              things would develop at the Jan. 8 sessions and flexibly meet the needs as
              we go.

              Shun