  • vance_stevens
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
      Hello again,

      My test message went through so I think egroups is working. Yaodong
      has posted some items but we have not seen those on the Webheads list.
      Yaodong, are you sending your email FROM the address you registered
      with this list?

      In any event, Yaodong wants to send this message:

      I am going to be watched by my colleagues how an online language
      lesson is conducted on December 11 (Tuesday ). The class will be in a
      language lab, which is LAN to the Internet and it can house 48
      students, each of whom has a monitor at the desktop. All students are
      freshmen majoring in automation engineering in Guangxi Polytechnic,
      based in Liuzhou, China.

      This is the first time for me to bring in my colleagues to an e-class
      and the 2-hour EFL lesson will include such activities as online
      interactions via Netmeeting or yahoo messenger,with teachers/students
      from different parts of the globe, the use of online resources for
      listening (www.esl-lab.com , for instance), reading and writing (check
      out www.epals.com for details).

      I am grateful for Vance's participation in the 'show' (so termed
      because some of yaodong's colleagues are sceptical of web-based
      teaching activities and they tend to think yaodong is showing off...)
      ^o^

      I will appreciate it if you are able to join in this lesson,together
      with students if possible. The class starts at 06:30 GMT on Dec. 11.

      Regards,

      yaodong

      Vance again: I have agreed to meet Yaodong at some point during his
      demonstration. I will be at work so I can't attend for long, but if
      any Webheads are able to help Yaodong with his event, it would be
      wonderful for all concerned.
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
        Hi Vance,

        welcome back to the digital civilization!

        Good to see that our list is not dead. Some of us met this Sunday -
        my memory is not too excellent but I think the class was joined by
        BJ, James, Michael, John, Arthur, Roslyn, Ying and Susanne. We missed
        Yaodong and his 30 students, and it was a very quiet day because
        nobody seemed to be playing around with other fun communication
        webtools. BJ put a recorder from the session in Vance's Tapped In
        office, and when I get some spare time I can edit it so you can add
        it to our homepage as usual. Our discussion was following up on the
        alert message about Webhead session logs on the homepage, and some
        research ethical matters. And, what more? Once I have edited the
        whole lot, I can give a better resumé!

        Yours,
        Susanne
      • Susanne Nyrop
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
          Hi Yaodong,

          I'd be happy to help you on this occasion. Too bad that I cannnot get
          the Yahoo Messenger to run (old Mac computer, not enough memory etc).
          I do not even have a class I can introduce

          In case you plan to get to Tapped In, however, I can be present your
          welcoming helpdesk (if anything else does not work for you, that may
          be a last solution to show off :-) Please let me know :-)

          Yours,
          Susanne
        • YD Chen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
            Hi, Susanne,
            Thanks for the message. :)
            today, my first e-class is a sure success. Mr David Sconduto from Los
            angeles contacted my class, 32 in all, via Netmeeting from 10:30 to 12
            at noon. We showed students how to use Netmeeting for online
            interaction and how to use tools like whiteboard, file transfer,chat
            tools...
            It is not a language class but these english majors did seem to enjoy
            it. Next Tuesday, it will be a language class for non-englsh majors and
            i would like to talk about american dining customs and how christmas is
            celebrated in the west. I would show them how tappedin works for an
            e-class though none of these know something about MOOs.Hope to see you
            there at about 4 p.m.our local time.
            Thanks again.
            don

            http://greetings.yahoo.com