happy new year

  • Marina
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2001
      Dear friends,

      Happy  2001!!!

      I hope you enjoyed your New Years Eve, wherever you were.
      For me it has been a family dinner with my parents, my brother ,my sister ,my aunt,my husband and son.
      I cooked for them with my mother's help.
      Now I send you the recipe of the dish I told you during our last chat. I've traslated it from italian so, excuse me if you find any mistake.

      Sformato alle zucchine e asparagi

       Courgettes and asparagus flan (serves 8)

      2 large courgettes  (about 250gr.)
      250gr.asparagus
      4 eggs
      4dl. milk
      3 shallots (little French onions)
      radicchio or chicory
      butter
      olive oil
      salt
      pepper

      Cut one courgette into long and thin slices.
      Put them together with the asparagus in boiling salted water for one minute.
      Skin and slice the shallots, chop the other courgette, cut the asparagus in two parts, chop the bottoms and put aside the tops (about 6cm.)
      Place the shallots, the chopped vegetables, olive oil, salt, pepper in a saucepan.Cook for 7-8 minutes.
      You can cook the flan in two different ways:
      1) Put it in a mould and cook it in bain-marie in the oven for about 50 minutes at 180°C.
      2) Put it in a closed basket for the steam cooking, then put the basket in the pressure cooker with about 200ml of water; wait for the whistle and cook over a moderate heat for 20 minutes.
      I choose the second one because it's faster and easier.
      Grease the basket with butter, put the courgette thin slices all around the border to completely cover the inside of the basket alternating with the asparagus tops, then, after, add the cooked vegetables.
      Beat eggs, milk,salt, pepper in a bowl and pour the mixture in the basket over the vegetables.
      Close the basket and put it in the pressure cooker.
      After cooking (see n.2 above), leave the flan in the basket at ambient temperature for at least two hours then turn it upside-down in a dish gently.
      Serve it tepid with a finely chopped chicory salad around.

      After dinner, at midnight,we toasted the new year then we opened the windows to see the beautiful fireworks outside.

      On tuesday 02 January, I went with my son to the Vatican to pass through the Holy Door and pray for peace ( the Holy door is opened only for the jubilee every 25 years).
      I send you a picture of the event as a gift to all the webheads.
      I send also another picture of St.Peter's Place to let you see the pilgrims long queue.
      The holy Door has been closed today with a long ceremony.
      I hope to see you online soon.

      Best wishes.

      Marina

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2001
        Hi Marina,

        Thank you very much for the very fine greetings. I have put the recipe you
        sent us up on your web page at

        http://www.homestead.com/vstevens/files/efi/marina.htm

        Marina sent us some pictures, including one of her and her son, taken
        outside the Vatican on the day after New Years Day. You can see them on our
        Seasons Greetings card at:

        http://www.homestead.com/vstevens/files/efi/newyear2001.htm

        If any Webheads would like to add to the card, then send us your message or
        pictures.

        It's starting to look like a beautiful greeting to all the world from Webheads.

        Chat logs from our session tonight will be up shortly.

        All the best,

        Vance