Webheads celebrate New Years Eve in chat class

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2000
      Happy New Year everyone,

      The online eclass got off to a rough start. Michael had gone out for New
      Years Eve and left Maggi and I to handle the crowds, the Palace was down,
      and Hear Me kept kicking us out. We tried Homestead and ICQ chat but were
      unable to get Ying Lan into either of those. Eventually HearMe settled down
      and we were all able to hold a conversation there, though I was unable to
      talk. Consequently, the recorded text chat is mostly me 'talking' in HearMe.
      When we were able to get back there, Ying Lan was discussing the importance
      of dictionaries when reading in a foreign language, and John and I proposed
      our theories of vocabulary acquisition. Maggi said Ming had told her she
      thought it was polite in all cultures to give and accept items with both
      hands, and I pointed out that in the one I live in, items are given and
      received with the right hand only. This got me talking about my experiences
      in Saudi Arabia, which in turn got us talking about cultures that were
      difficult to live in. Meanwhile, Ying Lan asked John if anyone had answered
      his email and when we finally saw the question, we realized she was
      volunteering to participate in his study. Just as we were about to break up,
      Marina reappeared after several weeks away in Paris, and she got our mouths
      watering by telling us what she was cooking for 10 people at her home as a
      special New Years Eve meal. Then we talked about what we would do for New
      Years Eve and of course we wished all Webheads, and everyone everywhere, a
      happy, peaceful new year.

      The chat is at http://www.homestead.com/vstevens/files/efi/ch001231.htm