Life support: WHAT WE SEE

  • Sorsah Lah
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2000
      WHAT WE SEE

      A long time ago a baby was born to poor parents. His future
      looked bleak as he grew to see a life of dreariness and poverty
      before him. He joined the army as a common soldier and was
      wounded so severely that he never regained the use of his left
      arm.

      He later failed to find decent employment and, on two occasions,
      was sent to debtor's prison. He continued to have brushes with
      the law and struggled just to survive.

      But, despite the severity of his life, he never let go of his
      dream... to write a book. In it he told a beautiful story which
      welled from heart's deepest dreams and yearnings and has moved
      generations of people the world over ever since. It is about a
      man who saw the world differently than everyone else. Though
      created in suffering, it is an inspiring tale of irrepressible
      hope. His story has been put to music and film, translated into
      numerous languages and remains a literary classic after some 400
      years.

      The author was Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra and the book, DON
      QUIXOTE DE LA MANCHA (1615; translated by P. Motteux).

      Perhaps Cervantes was speaking for himself when he penned the
      words for Don Quixote's epitaph:

      "Nor has his death the world deceiv'd
      Less than his wondrous life surpriz'd;
      For if he like a madman liv'd
      At least he like a wise one dy'd."

      And perhaps it was Cervantes himself who believed, as did his
      character, that the world "sees people as they are -- I see them
      as they can be!" For Cervantes may never have accomplished such a
      magnificent work had he not seen some potential within himself
      that was hidden from the rest of the world. He knew, and has
      taught others ever since, that great truth: what we see will
      come to be.

      Some see situations as they are, others as they can be. Some see
      people as they are, others as they can be. And some see
      themselves as they are, others as they can be.

      But when we look beyond the present reality, dismal as it may
      seem, and set our sights upon the best that is within a situation
      or a human being, then, too, what we see will come to be. And
      we'll know the power of hope.

      ~~~~~~~~~FROM THE MAILBOX~~~~~~~~~

      Write Publisher@...

      WHEN LIFE GIVE YOU MANURE...
      Dear Steve,
      "The World's Most Communicative Disease" reminds me of a
      similar story:
      There was a lovely couple who had twin sons. One, the eternal
      optimist, the other, the eternal pessimist. The one found joy in
      each day, his brother complained about everything.
      Shortly before their sixth birthday, the parents sought out
      advice on what to give the boys for presents. On the day of their
      birthday, they took their pessimistic son into a room with all
      the toys he had ever asked for and a real pony. Unfortunately, he
      looked at all these gifts only to grumble, "I'll be done with
      these games in just a few weeks. And that pony, what a mess it
      will make."
      The parents then took their second son into a room filled
      with manure. The second son jumped right in, searching through
      the giant pile calling out, "You can't fool me. With this much
      poop, there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere!" ~ Debbie

      Debbie, I don't recommend the parenting technique, but what a
      good example of how optimism can enhance happiness. Thanks! ~
      Steve

      http://profiles.msn.com