[efiwebheads] Let's talk

  • Ying- Lan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28 3:49 AM
      Dear Cybermates
      It is a long time without your email.
      How's going on?
      What a time to be alive !
      Only one thing is bad, we have to communicate by different language.
      Why do we speak the same language in the world?
      There is a wonderful sentence, I have read it in a book.
      ' On day after a particularly difficult class, a frustrated young man
      presented his person theory.
      ''Language study,'' he exploded, '' is a special punishment that the gods
      have created for students!'''
      Not only for students but also for any foolish person. . . like me.
      Do you think so?
      Tell me more your idea!
      Cheers
      Ying Lan

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 1999
        Hi Cybermates,

        This is an eclass. When you read this email, you are present in the eclass.
        There are 22 of you in the eclassroom (3 teachers and 19 students). Only a
        few of you have spoken up in the eclass. Some students have introduced
        themselves, and now one student has asked a question of her classmates in
        the eclass.

        I "saw" Ying Lan at the Palace class tonight, and I asked her if she was
        disappointed that no one had answered her e-question. But she told me that
        two classmates had responded directly to her.

        That's great. I was happy to hear that. She asked a question and got an
        answer, and now some students are talking to each other.

        But we want all the students in the eclass to be involved. So, when you
        answer a question like Ying Lan's, you should send or cc: your answer to
        efiwebheads@egroups.com, and then everybody will "hear" the answer. And
        then everyone will feel that there are other students in the eclass. The
        lights will come on and students will not feel they are sitting in a dark
        classroom. Each student will feel the presence of others, and the students
        and teachers in the class will start talking to each other.

        Ying Lan asked what you think about having to study languages. Do you feel
        that it is a punishment inflicted by the gods, or do you LIKE studying
        languages?

        I have been traveling for a long time on this planet and I feel that
        traveling was more interesting 25 years ago when people in neighboring
        countries had more distinct differences which made it interesting to visit
        them. I was always curious about other people, and they were curious about
        me when I would visit their countries, and interesting friendships
        developed. The friendships were always special because either they had
        taken the trouble to learn English, or in some cases I was able to learn
        enough of their language to get to know these interesting and very different
        people. I have always found the different languages in this world a
        challenge, a puzzle, keys to worlds with language barriers that kept out
        most people from other worlds, so that access to the new world was a reward
        for taking the time to learn to crack the code.

        What do you think? Do you find learning new languages interesting and
        enjoyable, or do you think that the fact that there are so many languages
        contributes mostly to misunderstandings in the world? Perhaps you would
        like to see everyone speak one language, like Esperanto (in fact, if you are
        ever in Vienna, you can visit the Esperanto museum there).

        If you want to know about the interests of the students in the class, you
        can read the chat logs from the Palace classes. The one yesterday was
        particularly interesting. You can find the log at
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/4631/efi/ch04apr9.htm. Maybe there
        will be something in that conversation that you will want to comment on.

        So Cybermates, don't sleep in class. Wake up and write your comments to
        efiwebheads@egroups.com.

        I hope to get to know more about you here at the eclass, or at the Palace,
        or through email which we can post to your webheads web page.

        All the best,
        Vance

        At 07:49 PM 3/28/99 +0800, you wrote:
        >Dear Cybermates
        >It is a long time without your email.
        >How's going on?
        >What a time to be alive !
        >Only one thing is bad, we have to communicate by different language.
        >Why do we speak the same language in the world?
        >There is a wonderful sentence, I have read it in a book.
        >' On day after a particularly difficult class, a frustrated young man
        >presented his person theory.
        >''Language study,'' he exploded, '' is a special punishment that the gods
        >have created for students!'''
        >Not only for students but also for any foolish person. . . like me.
        >Do you think so?
        >Tell me more your idea!
        >Cheers
        >Ying Lan

        >eGroups Spotlight:
        >"Kosovo-Reports" - Direct reports from Kosovo/Serbia/Yugoslavia.
        >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/5
        >
        >eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
      • Gloria Centurion
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999
          This is what I think about differents languages:

          I don´t think that is a God´s punishment, but a way for us to see the
          complexity of human being.
          In essence we are all the same but each human being has an universe
          inside him/her.
          The people look for some ways to express themselves then in a group they
          adopt some names for things and because we can´t meet with all people
          around the world and one group can´t reach out other groups tha´s why we
          express each other in different languages.

          Being capable of speaking various languages is a good thing because you
          can find some other rich ways to express your feelings.

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/efiwebheads
        • Choi Hae-Young
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999
            Hi all,

            This is Choi Hae-Young from Republic of Korea which is South.
            You just can call me CHOI. I totally agree with Ying-Lan. It also seems to me
            that learning other tongues is a kind of punishments. Particularly, Korean
            language is spoken only in South and North Korea. No other countries. The
            best things which ease our punishment is to speak more English, listen to
            more English and write more English. I would like to suggest that if one find
            an grammatical error in other's messages, why don't we correct each other in
            returning messages. Let's talk more!

            CHOI. Apr06 01:46 GMT