Re: [efiwebheads] sorry about....

  • tori ko
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2000
      Hi,

      My name is Huang. I just bought a new model of Thinkpad (A20m 2628). But I
      encountered many
      problems. I don't know why. can you help me?

      The first is that if I entered the BIOS SETUP and set all of PCI items as
      DISABLE. THen I can not
      reboot and can not enter BIOS SETUP again. I am astonished. No way, I just
      let my computer repaire.

      Another is that after I installed Linux. The sound driver works well. But
      only for CD player. I can
      not hear any sound when using Realplayer etc. By the way, I used
      snd-card-cs461x.

      thank you and bless you have a wonderful day.
      Huang

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
        Hi Huang,

        Nice to hear from you. Does any webhead know offhand the function key to
        press on startup that brings up BIOS SETUP? Is it F8? F3? I forget which,
        but one of these held down at startup should bring up SETUP. Which is it?

        Also, will your computer boot from the floppy drive? Do you have any floppy
        disks that have an operating system on them? When you install a virus
        checker, or when you purchase your computer, you might have made or been
        given an Emergency diskette that boots from the floppy disk drive. If so
        you can start your computer from this disk.

        If you don't have such a disk, those of you whose computers will boot should
        make one right away, before you reach the condition where your computer
        won't boot. Format a diskette and set your format to copy system files. On
        my computer, to format a diskette, you put one in the a: drive and in My
        Computer, right-click on the a: drive icon. Select Format and in the dialog
        box click in Copy System Files. The idea is to create a disk that will
        BOOT, so if you do this, restart your computer with the disk in the drive,
        and see if it boots from the floppy. If it does, then you at least have a
        way of starting your computer if you crash your hard drive. If it doesn't
        boot, then write back and tell me and I'll look further into how you can
        make it bootable.

        If you install a zip drive these days, you can also have the zip program
        create an emergency disk for you and copy essential files onto a zip disk.
        You can use this to reboot your system, and with the main files on the zip
        drive, it will boot almost (but not quite) as you expect it to. But in an
        emergency, that's better than nothing.

        Unfortunately I haven't used Linux yet, so I can't help with the sound
        problem, but maybe there is information at http://www.real.com on using Real
        Player with Linux, or maybe you can download a Linux version of Real Player
        8. There might be information at one of the many Linux sites as well.

        So Huang, I hope that one of the other Think Pad owners, Sophie or Mari, can
        help you, and while you're waiting, why not write us a little about
        yourself, and we'll start a web page for you and get to know you better
        through Webheads.

        All the best,

        Vance

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
          At 08:25 AM 8/10/00 +0900, you wrote:

          >Hi everyone. At last, I left hospital.
          > I had been in hospital about 4 month because I had broken my leg.
          > And I didn't use computer and I couldn't read any message.
          > I'm very glad to join this ML again.

          FOUR MONTHS IN HOSPITAL!!?? Maggi has been 7 weeks at home with a broken
          leg already. What is it about Webheads that causes them to break their legs?

          Seriously, Mari, how did you do that? Is it ok now? Are you back at work
          or school?

          Glad to have you back on the mailing list,

          Vance

          p.s., Mari, I've put this information on your webheads page with one or two
          grammatical corrections:

          http://www.homestead.com/vstevens/files/efi/mari.htm

          I notice that you also once sent us a picture, but I wasn't able to read it.
          Would you like to try again to send a photo, in jpg or gif format?

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2000
            Hi Mari,

            Thanks very much for your picture. You are very photogenic!

            The picture makes a great improvement to your web page.

            If Homestead FTP is working today, you can see it at:

            http://www.homestead.com/vstevens/files/efi/mari.htm

            As usual, I've made some small corrections to your English which you can
            notice if you compare your emails with what you see on the web.

            All the other pages I've mentioned are on the web, as Homestead ftp has been
            working 90%.

            I'll be updating the main webheads page with the new pictures shortly.
            They're all on the student pages (if ftp is working).

            http://www.homestead.com/vstevens/files/efi/students.htm

            All the best,

            Vance