Re: [efiwebheads] My questions.

  • Maggie
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2000
      Thanks, Vance. Thanks for explaining to me so soon. Thanks x n
      And now I have a new problem. What's the meaning of "by no means". Does it just mean "not at all"?When will we use "by no means"? Could we say "by no means" after hearing "Thanks"? Could you give me some examples about how to use "by no means" as an answer?
      This time you don't have to hurry. Just answer me when you are free.
      Repeat:thanks.Over.

      Maggie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
        Hi everyone....

        Maggie asked a few questions that Vance answered but I didn't agree with
        him and this is why I don't like these tests. No one can say what is
        the absolute correct form because even native speakers have differences.

        For example:

        Maggie wrote

        > >1)--Shall I carry the heavy bag for you, madam?
        > > --No, thanks. I can___myself.
        > > A)carry B)do C)manage D)help
        > >
        > > I chose B. And the answer is C. But I think it's better to say"I can
        > manage it myself."

        And Vance replied

        > You're RIGHT Maggie. And for exactly that reason, I would have chosen D.
        > You must say CARRY IT, and DO IT, and MANAGE MYSELF is possible, but it
        > means to organize your own affairs. HELP MYSELF is the answer closest in
        > correct grammar and correct meaning.

        I can manage it means I can do it myself...meaning no need to help me
        because I can do it myself. Help myself I would use at a buffet when I
        can get my own food. Help yourself is often said meaning you can get
        your own food so I don't have to serve you.

        I can manage the suitcase means to me I can carry it so I don't need
        help. Do it I would use if I can actually do something that requires a
        skill. A heavy suitcase needs strength not skill...unless I was trying
        to lift it onto something, then I might say, hey, I can do it.

        I also would never use the word must because that should be saved for
        something you should never do...something that is forbidden...You must
        not smoke here. Many languages end up with mistakes here when
        translated in English because it comes out too strong.

        Maggie wrote:

        > >2)--I'm sorry, Sir. But we can't find a larger room for the meeting.
        > > --Well, it doesn't matter. It will do ___ .
        > > A)just well B)though small C)unless built D)if necessary
        > >
        > > I chose A. And the answer is B. But I think it's better to say "It will
        > do just as well."

        then Vance...

        > I wouldn't do very well on this exam either, Maggie. I would choose D, it
        > will do if necessary.
        >
        > Again you are right, just as well will work, but that's not one of the
        > answers ('just well').
        > If you use B then I think you need a comma, it will do, though small, and I
        > would never say that ... I would say something like, it will do, though it's
        > a bit small, or at minimum, though it's small. But you can omit it's.

        The best thing to do on these tests is to find which goes the best even
        though it may not be the best answer.

        Just as well does sound better but it is not a possibility so give it
        up. Then the only answer can be though small. In this situation I
        would never use if necessary, but if need be...or if it has to be.

        It was because they couldn't find a larger room so that is a hint as to
        the answer.

        Nowadays with commas the best thing is when in doubt leave it out. At
        least in Germany.

        Maggi
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2000
          Maggi and Maggie,

          I agree with both of you that I can manage IT myself would be the best
          choice, but in Maggie's example it is not a choice. The possibilities are
          "I can manage myself" or "I can help myself." If I had to chose between
          those I would chose "help myself". Would you agree there, Maggi?

          And I also agree that this is a pretty terrible exam.

          The second problem is also a choice between two possibilities, neither of
          which fit exactly.

          I think next time they should have Maggie write the test.

          Vance