[efiwebheads] I am home, I am at home

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 1999
      Ying Lan asks,

      >Another one is
      >what's difference between "I am at home" and "I am home"?
      >I could not see any different two sentence, I confused ...

      I am 'at home' means I am in my house.

      I am 'home' can mean that I just arrived.

      If a husband walks in the door, he calls to his wife, "Honey, I'm home." (He
      wouldn't say 'I'm at home,' - she knows he's at home - she is too).

      If you call someone and they ask you, "Where are you?", you might say, "I'm
      at home." (You would only say, 'I'm home' if you'd been away and the other
      person knew that).

      Sometimes, the two expressions might be interchangable, and at other times
      they might not be.

      Go to this web site:

      http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/scripts/concordance/WWWConcappE.htm

      Choose a corpus. Try more than one, and with each do a concordance on the
      word "home".

      If you find any sentences where "at home" can't be used for "home" or visa
      versa, write efiwebheads@egroups.com and tell us which corpus you used.

      Bye for now,

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/efiwebheads