[efiwebheads] Re: Fortnightly Writing Topic #11

  • Moral
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2000
      I know I missed a lot about Webheads when I was on leave. Here is my explanation about my name.

      My name is Daoyi Lan. I used it at first I went online. But after some online friends asked me Daoyi was a male or a female name, I thought I should have an English name to prevent people from thinking I was a lady. And Daoyi means moral in Chinese, so I picked it as my English and online name. My surname Lan means blue in Chinese which is different from Yinglan's lan. I wonder if there is any surname Blue in English.

      Best wishes,

      Moral

      > THE NEW TOPIC #11
      >
      > This next topic is a really easy one - all you have to do is write and tell
      > us all what your name means. We were talking about this two weeks ago in
      > our weekly Sunday chat.
      >
      > Most name's have a nice meaning so it shouldn't be too embarrassing. My
      > name is Michael and it has a great meaning - "like God"! So I am supposed
      > to be like God! And I'm not! This is because in the Christian Bible story
      > Michael was an angel who was kind of like God's helper in heaven!
      >
      > So that's the short story of my name. Write and tell us about what your
      > name means. And if you like you can comment about your name - do you like
      > it? why or why not? would you prefer another name?
      >
      > As always Vance will make a website with this information and it would be
      > great to have a long list of all webheads' names and their meanings.
      >
      > It's over to you!
      >
      > Cheers to all - and I hope those who celebrated the Spring Festival/New
      > Year this week had a wonderful time.
      >

      > Michael Coghlan
      >

      > email: michaelc@... (home)
      > michaelc@... (work)

      > Shop for your Valentine at eGroups!

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=efiwebheads&m=1

    • MichaelCoghlan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2000
        At 11:31 AM 29/2/00 +0800, Moral wrote:

        >I know I missed a lot about Webheads when I was on leave. Here is my
        explanation about my name.

        >My name is Daoyi Lan. I used it at first I went online. But after some
        online friends asked me Daoyi was a male or a female name, I thought I
        should have an English name to prevent people from thinking I was a lady.
        And Daoyi means moral in Chinese, so I picked it as my English and online
        name. My surname Lan means blue in Chinese which is different from
        Yinglan's lan. I wonder if there is any surname Blue in English.

        Moral - to the best of my knowledge Blue is not an English surname. Maybe
        because in English the adjective 'blue' means to feel sad or depressed. Not
        a nice name to have! Or 'blue movies' means pornographic movies. Also not a
        nice idea for a surname!

        And in Australian slang 'Blue' is what we call someone with red hair! Don't
        ask me why!

        Michael Coghlan

        email: michaelc@... (home)
        michaelc@... (work)