[efiwebheads] Re: Your Opinions about the Wehheads Class

  • Maggie
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2000
      Hi,this is Maggie.And here are my opinions:
      1)Making friends with diffierent teachers and students from diffierent
      parts of the world.
      2)Asking questions that I don't in my daily study.
      3)Knowing customs of different countries.

      I hope I can help you.Bye.
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2000
        It is well known that children learn English in a way different from adults.
        Children are able to absorb other languages without being taught grammar.
        Adults have a different way of learning. Sometimes they feel they need
        grammar. But I think what Maggi is saying, is if you can learn more the way
        you did as a child, without worrying about whether you make mistakes or not,
        then this might help you make progress in that language. Language is a
        skill. You can only learn so much of a skill through studying ABOUT it.
        Mainly you have to DO it, practice it over and over. That is how you
        acquire any skill. To learn the skill, the practice is more important than
        the rules (of grammar, for example).

        This is what we do (Maggi, Michael and I). We give you opportunities to use
        and practice your English skills. Language is communication, so we also
        give you real reasons to communicate. All of us in this community, the
        teachers and the learners, give you an audience. We are interested in what
        you have to say and we encourage you to say it. Eventually you come to like
        the others in the community, and it's interesting to get to know them. You
        want to communicate with them and you want them to communicate with you. So
        you have real reasons to write and speak to them.

        It's also interesting that a community such as this has been together for
        over a year and is growing both larger and closer. We are about the right
        size. There aren't so many of us that we don't know each other personally.
        It's an interesting experiment, and Maggi, Michael and I would like to see
        how far we can go with it. We'd like to know what we are doing right that
        keeps it together and what makes is a community.

        But Felix makes an important point as well. If there is something missing,
        what is that? Is there something we can do to make the experience better
        for you? There are a lot of sites on the Internet that might be able to
        teach you what you want to know, if that's the approach that's comfortable
        for you? Would you like for us to identify some of them for you? Would you
        then go out and look at those sites and report back?

        But what is that "something missing"?? Any ideas from any of you?

        Vance

        At 11:59 PM 2/21/00 -0300, you wrote:
        >of course I didnt learn grammar first Mad, but you are to remember that we
        are not
        >involved in English all day long, so you don't practice it a lot. That's
        why it's
        >necessary to know grammar rules although you have to practice speaking much
        more
        >than grammar.. What I meant is that I think there's something missing..
        Maybe it's