Legislative Update from Arizona Association for Environmental Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2007
      >===== Original Message From Julie Blake Gidley
      =====

      Arizona Association for Environmental Education
      LEGISLATIVE ALERT
      www.eenclb.org
      www.arizonaee. org< /TABLE>
      It is time to talk to your representatives about Environmental Education
      EE needs your help!

      The No Child Left Inside Act was introduced in the House Committee on Education and Labor (H.R. 3036) on July 16, 2007 by U.S. Rep. John P. Sarbanes (MD-3).   The Act is supported by a diverse coalition of partners including: NAAEE, NSTA, NEA, Audubon, and National Wildlife Federation (to name a few).  The NCLI Act provides the b

      About the NCLI Act
      The act would strengthen the No Child Left Behind Reauthorization by providing:
      • Funding to train teachers to deliver high quality Environmental Education and utilize the local environment as an extension of the classroom.
      • Incentives for states to develop State Environmental Literacy Plans to insure that every student is prepared to understand the environmental challenges of the future.
      • Encouragement for teachers, administrators, and school systems to make time and resources available for environmental education for all students.
      • Environmental Education will be integrated across core subject areas.

      More info about the act: www.eenclb.org

      Take Action!

      1. Fax or email a letter urging your Representative to co-sponsor the No Child Left Inside Act of 2007 and support inclusion of environmental education in NCLB (standard mail is too slow).
      Find your Representative' s Contact Info
        After sending your email or fax, call your Representative' s office and ask to speak to the education staff person. Tell him or her how important it is that your Representative co-sponsor the No Child Left Inside Act.**  The following talking points may be helpful to you.
        Use the 'forward email' feature at the bottome of this page to send this action alert to your friends, family, and colleagues. Ask them to contact their Representatives. By making a few changes to NCLB, we can dramatically improve our schools' ability to prepare children for realworld challenges and careers and ensure an environmentally sustainable future.
        Send a copy of the signed letter to No Child Left Inside Coalition, Anita Kraemer (eeEval@verizon. net or fax: 518-602-1405 - a scanned copy by email is preferred).  Anita will copy the letter to education staff for other key Congressmen and Senators.

        **Note - the House will be adjorned from August 4 - Labor Day so you may be able to contact your Representative at their Arizona offce during this time.

        For more information or questions, feel free to email us at arizonaee@hotmail. com or contact Julie Gidley directly at 480-481-8123.  Thanks for your help!

        This email was sent to julieblake23@ hotmail.com, by arizonaee@hotmail. com
        Arizona Association for Environmental Education | P.O. Box 64354 | Phoenix | AZ | 85082

        A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts here./*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/* Mansel A. Nelson Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496 Environmental Education Outreach Program Fax 928 523 1280 Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals mansel.nelson@... PO Box 5768 Northern Arizona University Peterson Hall Flagstaff, AZ 86011 Bldg 22, Room 208 http://www.nau.edu/eeop/ */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/* "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*