Grants for Math and Science Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2002
      >>All,

      Anyone interested in making an application for one of the grants described
      below - I would be willing to help write the grant as a partner with the
      school district.

      Let me know if there is any interest.

      man

      >>National Science Teachers Association
      >>
      >>January 31, 2002
      >>
      >>NSF Releases Request for Proposals for FY2002 MSPs
      >>
      >>The National Science Foundation has released the Request for Proposal for
      >>their Math &Science Partnership programs. For a complete program
      >>description go to
      >><http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2002/nsf02061/nsf02061.html>http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2002/nsf02061/nsf02061.html
      >>
      >>Science teachers, science supervisors, administrators, and others with an
      >>interest in professional development for K-12 science and mathematics are
      >>urged to visit this website for more information. K-12 districts can
      >>serve as the lead organization for these grants, and teacher
      >>participation is required in many aspects of these programs. Letters of
      >>intent (which are optional) are due March 15 and full proposals are due
      >>on April 30, 2002.
      >>
      >>As you will recall, the NSF Math and Science Partnerships received $160
      >>million in funding for FY2002 while the Math and Science Partnerships
      >>under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act were funded at only
      >>$12.5 million. It is likely that this year the Department of Education
      >>funds will be used to co-fund the NSF MSP programs.
      >>
      >>While the low appropriations for the FY2002 ESEA programs is
      >>disappointing and the Eisenhower program has been eliminated, keep in
      >>mind that in addition to these NSF Math and Science Partnership programs,
      >>science and math educators will be participants to the new ESEA Title II
      >>Teacher Quality programs slated to receive $2.85 billion in FY 2002. This
      >>is a huge funding increase from last year's programs. For example, the
      >>state of California received over $53 million in Eisenhower state grants
      >>in FY2001, but it is expected to receive over $333 million in Title II
      >>funds next year. (For a preview of what each state will receive under FY
      >>2002 funding for ESEA go to
      >><http://www.ed.gov/offices/OUS/Budget02/02bypr.pdf>http://www.ed.gov/offices/OUS/Budget02/02bypr.pdf).
      >>There are a number of uses of funds allowable under Title II programs,
      >>including programs to provide professional development; recruiting,
      >>hiring, and retaining teachers; alternative certification programs;
      >>tenure reform; merit pay; and teacher testing.
      >>
      >>Here are some highlights of the NSF RFP for the FY2002 Math and Science
      >>Partnerships. We will provide additional details on ESEA programs when
      >>they become available.
      >>
      >>Proposals must be submitted on behalf of a partnership by a LEAD
      >>ORGANIZATION that is one of the following: 1) a preK-12 local, tribal,
      >>regional or state educational system, 2) an institution of higher
      >>education), 3) a higher education system or consortium, or 4) an
      >>educational consortium, private foundation, or other public or non-profit
      >>private school or organization focused on preK-12 education. The lead
      >>organization will be the prime awardee, assuming fiscal responsibility
> [...]

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator Voice 520 523 1275 / 1496
      Northern Arizona University Hanley Hall

      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
      children." Native American Proverb