FWD: News Release: Alcoa Foundation Provides Grant to Engage Diverse Populations

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2007
      >===== Original Message From Carol Muller <cbmuller@...> =====
      News Release

      FOR RELEASE APRIL 24, 2007

      ALCOA FOUNDATION PROVIDES GRANT TO ENGAGE DIVERSE POPULATIONS IN MENTORING FOR
      ENGINEERING & SCIENCE

      (San Jose, CA) - Alcoa Foundation has provided a $25,000 grant to MentorNet, a
      Silicon Valley-headquartered nonprofit that links students and professionals
      in scientific and technical fields across the globe. The grant is enabling
      MentorNet particularly to reach out to organizations and staff working with
      minority students and professionals in engineering and science to build
      awareness of the opportunities to participate in MentorNet programs. Among
      other activities, a series of webconferences will introduce more college and
      university-based diversity advocates to MentorNet programs.

      Recognized as an organization that effectively uses a network to create
      sustainable, competitive differentiation in the marketplace, MentorNet, The
      E-mentoring Network for Diversity in Engineering and Science, works in close
      partnership with more than 100 institutions of higher education across the
      U.S., as well as several in locations around the world. Its programs rely
      entirely on email and the internet to support one-on-one mentoring
      relationships for thousands of students and professionals in engineering and
      science in the U.S. and 59 countries.

      "With the support from grants such as Alcoa Foundation's, MentorNet is better
      able to respond in particular to the interests of people of color who are
      currently underrepresented in engineering and science, and the communities
      which serve them," said Carol Muller, MentorNet's founder and chief executive
      officer. "Thanks in part to the support from this grant, the numbers of
      people of color underrepresented in engineering and related sciences - African
      Americans, those of Hispanic/Latino/a heritage, and Native Americans -
      participating in our One-on-One program this year have increased by more than
      60%, for both participating students and professionals."

      MentorNet, the global award-winning e-mentoring network linking college and
      graduate students with professionals for email-based mentoring relationships
      in engineering and related sciences, has been expanding its outreach
      activities to focus on all those underrepresented in the fields of science,
      technology, engineering, and mathematics. Since 1998, MentorNet has matched
      more than 18,000 one-on-one mentoring pairs.

      As part of an effort to build greater awareness of its programs and results,
      MentorNet is reaching out to a broader range of organizations. "We hope to
      encourage involvement, create partnerships, and learn how we can do an even
      better job of creating and supporting valuable mentoring relationships that
      enable individuals to excel academically and professionally," Muller says.

      For more information about becoming a mentor or protege, involving a specific
      college, university, corporation, government lab, or professional society, or
      how MentorNet's programs work, please visit www.MentorNet.net.

      About MentorNet - www.MentorNet.net

      Founded in 1997 and headquartered in San Jose, California, MentorNet is a
      nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization working to further the progress of women and
      others underrepresented in scientific and technical fields through the use of
      a dynamic, technology-supported mentoring network. MentorNet aims to advance
      individuals and society and enhance engineering and related sciences by
      promoting a diversified, expanded, and talented global workforce. In
      partnership with colleges and universities, corporations, government labs and
      agencies, and professional societies, MentorNet is international in scope,
      serving students and professionals from all over the world. MentorNet was
      recognized in 2001 with the (U.S.) Presidential Award for Excellence in
      Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring. Major funding is provided by
      the National Science Foundation, 3M Foundation, IBM, Alcoa Foundation, Cisco
      Systems, Hewlett Packard, and Texas Instruments.

      Contact: Amie Aldana
      408.296.4405
      aaldana@...

      ###

      I welcome your comments, questions, and suggestions. If you prefer not to
      receive certain communications from MentorNet, please click on the link below:
      http://www.mentornet.net/community/public/subs.aspx?us=y&t=oc&em=[unsubem]

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University Peterson Hall
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb