FWD: RE: Sustainable Water Management - a Sonoran Institute report

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      >===== Original Message From Mia Stier <mstier@...> =====
      Dear Reader:

      Growth across the arid West, including Arizona, has brought many
      challenges. Not the least of which is reconciling the water needs of
      current and future residents, agriculture and industry, with the
      preservation of the region's remaining rivers and streams and the survival
      of the plants and animals that depend upon them. Population growth coupled
      with continued water use by agriculture and industry and extended drought
      conditions has brought unprecedented demand for groundwater, adversely
      impacting the surface flows of rivers and streams across the arid West and
      bringing increased attention to the critical need for sustainable water
      management.

      The Sonoran Institute understands that the sustainable management
      of a common resource like water requires public dialogue. However, issues
      surrounding water management are technically and legally complicated,
      presenting challenges to developing sound public policies. This new Sonoran
      Institute report, Sustainable Water Management: Guidelines for Meeting the
      Needs of People and Nature in the Arid West explores the relationship
      between groundwater and surface water and proposes a framework for
      sustainable water management to meet the needs of people and nature. It
      takes an in-depth look at Arizona, applying the sustainable water management
      framework to three case studies - the San Pedro, Santa Cruz, and Verde
      rivers - and recommends water management policies to allow this arid state
      to prosper while protecting its important river systems. To view the full
      report, executive summary of in-depth stakeholder interviews, and list of
      interview participants please go to <http://www.sonoran.org/>
      www.sonoran.org.

      We welcome the opportunity to discuss the information here in
      greater depth with you and your organization or agency. Please contact Mia
      Stier at (602) 393-4310 x 4 or mstier@... to schedule a presentation
      for your organization.

      Sincerely,

      Andy Laurenzi

      Andy Laurenzi

      Program Director - Land and Water Policy Program

      Sonoran Institute

      4835 E. Cactus Rd, Ste 270

      Scottsdale, AZ 85254

      andy@...

      (602) 393-4310 x 1

      The Sonoran Institute promotes community decisions that respect the land and
      people of the West.

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University Peterson Hall
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Native American Proverb