Native American Guide Training Program, San Juan River, Utah

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      From: Nikki Cooley <maiiyazhi24@...>
      Date: February 23, 2007 8:10:18 PM MST

      Ya'at'eeh,

      My name is Nikki Cooley and I am of the Towering House Clan, born for the
      Reed People Clan, maternal grandparents are of the Water that Flows Together
      Clan, and paternal grandparents are of the Manygoats Clan. I was born and
      raised in Blue Gap and Shonto, Arizona, and now reside part-time in
      Flagstaff. I am working on several projects with Northern Arizona
      University and one of them is the Native American guide training program on
      the San Juan River, Utah. I am an alumni of Northern Arizona University,
      School of Forestry program, and I've worked with Wally Covington, Thom
      Alcoze and Sally Alcoze, and numerous other folks at NAU. So we may have
      been acquainted in the past and here we reconnect.

      I am writing this email in hopes of getting some assistance in posting the
      attached flyer and forward this email to anyone you think would be
      interested. I got your email address from the Northern Arizona University
      website.

      I am working with the Ecological Monitoring Assessment Program (
      www.emaprogram.com) at NAU, and NAU Outdoors (http://home.nau.edu/outdoors/)
      on putting together a Native American Guide Training Program on the San Juan
      River, Utah. It will be a 10-day program on the and will consist of 2.5
      classroom days and 7 days on-river training. One of the objectives of this
      program is encourage Native American participants to learn the appropriate
      ways of sharing and interpreting their culture to passengers, fellow river
      guides and other tribal people. We hope this program will provide Native
      American participants a foundation to train to be river guides so if they
      wish, they can work on other rivers and for commercial and non-profit river
      outfitters on the San Juan and eventually work their way up to larger
      rivers. There will be Native American elders present for classroom sessions
      to hold discussions and answer questions from participants. The local river
      industry seriously lacks the involvement of Native Americans in the
      interpretation of the significance of the river, land and animals. This
      program is to encourage and make available people for local river
      outfitters, whether on the San Juan, Colorado, Verde, and Salt, etc. to seek
      out and hire more Natives to be involved in their cultural interpretation
      programs which should be on all river trips.

      I, Nikki Cooley, and most likely Shana Watahomigie (Havasuapi Tribe), will
      be on the trip with three other river guides who will teach a variety of
      topics such as water/boat safety, enthobotany (courtesy of Jonah Hill (Hopi
      Tribe) of Winter Sun), geology, Leave No Trace certification, cultural and
      environmental interpretation, etc.

      We are advertising (see attached flyer and web address) and recruiting for
      participants. We would like to get 15 participants who are either in-coming
      or current college students who are interested in the training program.
      There is a cost but sponsorship and scholarships are available so cost
      should not deter anyone. And yes, you should be Native American from any
      tribe. (Next year, we will mix it up but for the pilot trip we wanted
      Native kids so next year they can be part of the teaching/learning team.)

      Please forward this email, flyer, website address to anyone who could help
      get the word out. I am available for club meetings if you wish for more
      in-depth information.

      Any questions from folks can be directed to me at this email address:
      www.maiilyazhi24@... or the contact person on the flyer: Matt
      Erlandson: Matthew.Erlandson@...: (928) 523-2732

      Please note the attached files and if unable to open, please let me know.

      Native American Guide Training Program: San Juan River, Utah
      May 21-30, 2007
      http://home.nau.edu/outdoors/na_guidetraining.asp (under Native American
      Guide Training Program).

      I thank you in advance and Hope to hear from You. (Any feedback would be
      welcomed).

      Ahe'hee'

      Nikki Cooley

      Mansel A. Nelson
      Program Coordinator (Environmental Educator) Voice 928 523 1275/1496
      Northern Arizona University Peterson Hall
      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
      children." Native American Proverb